Thursday, March 5, 2020

Violets on the Move


In November I posted that after 117 days one of the two remaining African violet leaves had started to grow a new tiny leaf. It grew until there were four tiny leaves, then the mother leaf died. The baby plant doesn't seem to have grown since then. Over the last week, after sitting in a pot for about 220 days, the remaining potential mother leaf also died (on the right):
The dead leaf had grown some roots, but there was never a sign of a new plant. I removed the tiny plant from this pot and found it has almost no roots, which is probably why it stopped growing once the parent leaf died. Here it is potted up in a wicking pot, which I hope will get it growing:

Here is my whole African violet collection on their new home with wheels:
This is a "drinks trolley" I bought from Kmart last week. The wheels will allow me to easily move the violets to different places in the house as the sun moves throughout the year. On the bottom shelf are all the other baby violets from the leaves I was given for my birthday last year. A lot of them need re-potting, too. On the top left you can see the violet I was given at the same time, which is really a much redder purple than the photo shows. It is covered in flowers and has many buds still coming. The two pots on the top left are the two crowns of the first violet I was given by Sue. Sue propagated them from one of her own violets, but wasn't sure which plant the leaf had come from. Soon we will know, because:
one of them has a bud getting ready to open!

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your new flower is looking a bit pink. How exciting,
The trolley looks great with the blooming violet.

Marie Králová said...

This is a nice collection. And the cool trolley for flowers. Marie

Pamela said...

I love your African Violet updates!

Julierose said...

What a neat trolley--I love the color of that blooming violet--amazing!! And it appears that you will have a pinkish one soon..hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

I got keen and took more cuttings of my violets, but half of the leafs died already. I am about to try another batch but just wanted to know how you did yours? Do you sit the black tray in a little bit of water, or you water from above? I love the trolley idea, great way to ensure they don't get neglected....which is my downfall!

jacaranda said...

Your trolley is ideal for displaying your violets. Lovely colours. It must be very satisfying when plants grow and flower from snips and cuttings.