Thursday, May 23, 2019

Violets Galore!

Today I went into Melbourne to meet up with my CBD quilting friends, and I was given this bag of goodies:
It included a pretty African violet, with dark purple flowers fringed with white. And inside that plastic container:
Leaf cuttings from five more African violets! Look at the range of colours. Just beautiful.

And here they all are later, potted in a mixture of vermiculite, perlite and African violet potting mix:
(Flowers just there for the photo to help me remember which is which.)

If these all take, that will be a lot of plants! I might need a few more African violet pots.


4 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely African violets--so many pretty colors...
hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

What a gorgeous array of colours, such a lovely gift. I only have two colours, but both have speckled coloured flowers (blue and pink), not sure what colour yours will be.

Jeanette said...

Hope you have an excellent strike rate.

Lee said...

I love African violets and still have one, sort of. It is being foster-cared for by my aunt who lives over 800 miles away. She gave it to me many years ago. At one time, I had over 100 plants, and was propagating new ones, going to shows, and buying all sorts of varieties. It proved to be too much of a challenge as we have poor lighting in our house and when I would be gone during parts of the summer, my husband wasn't always as attentive and careful to water properly [even though many were on a wicking system]. Eventually, some parasite or disease hit, and I gradually lost them all. I also had quilting & genealogy to take up my time and have no plants at all, of any type in my house - only a north window, and the southern doors are shaded by either a patio cover or ash tree. I hope your new beauties take root and give you many blossoms some day. I especially liked some of the miniatures and the trailing varieties.