Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Pot Quest

Because the power supply company had advised us that our power would be off for a few hours today, we spent the day in Geelong. We met up with family members for lunch, and spent some time fossicking around Geelong's big second-hand stores. I was hunting for African violet pots.

I found nothing at all. But another member of the hunting party found this one:

The pot is in two parts. The outer part is fully glazed, so it holds water, but the inner part is only glazed around the top:
It might not be clear in my photo, but there is no drainage hole in the inner pot. You put water in the outer pot, and it slowly seeps through the unglazed pottery, providing the violet plant with a constant supply of water. It is a clever system, but unless you know what it is for it seems a bit of a mystery.


3 comments:

Sue SA said...

Ceramic pots are so much nicer then plastic, so thanks for the photos...now I am going to start hunting the op shops too!

Jeanette said...

Cute planter, I will also look out for some rather than doing just my usual quick scan for sewing machines.

Lee said...

I have had those pots. They are nice, but over time the porousness still tends to clog and they become less able to transfer moisture - it may be because of hard water, which we have in our area. I've also used a wicking method for plants in the past.