Saturday, March 7, 2020

Long Weekend - Day One

This weekend is huge in Ballarat. The main event is the Begonia Festival, but there are many other things to see and do.  Today was the best day for me to visit a couple of the events, and I had the pleasure of the company of a Melbourne friend who has already blogged about it with much better photos than mine. Check out her post here.

After a cuppa and a tour of our garden, our first port of call was the Begonia Quilters exhibition.
Although photos of quilts were allowed, they were not allowed to be published online. I hope this overview of the room will prove we were there, without breaching the rules. The show was in the Masonic Centre, a building I had not known of before. I have driven past it without noticing it, as it is well back from the road and downhill. (I have since spoken to several long-term Ballarat dwellers who also had no idea it was there, so I don't feel so bad now.) Refreshments were available here, so we had another cuppa, this time accompanied by scones with jam and cream.

Our next stop was the Embroiderers Guild exhibition. My photos of this don't do it justice at all, so you should definitely check out my friend's pictures. (Link in first paragraph).

I really liked this informative display of different types of embroidery:
There were a few quilts too,
mainly featuring stitchery panels. Look up at the ceiling. You might recognise this venue from my photos of setting up our quilt show last year. The ornate ceiling panels served as inspiration for a challenge for the Embroiderers:

After the embroidery, we popped in to a nearby cafe for a coffee and cake, then quickly checked out the book fair at less ornate church hall across the road. I picked up a couple of novels before they closed at 4pm, then we were on the road again.


Last stop for the day was the Begonia Festival. I love all the different coloured begonia leaves:

 but it is really all about the flowers:

 
I made one purchase in the market section of the festival, which was something I have wanted for a while. But that possibly needs its own post, so I'll save it for another day.

6 comments:

Sue SA said...

Would have been nice to have come down to see the quilts and embroidery, but unfortunately I had visitors! The flowers look lovely, such an array of colour.

Jeanette said...

Didn't seem like such a busy day at the time. Must have been the excellent company. Great to see the various vibrant communities of Ballarat on show.

Julierose said...

Love those reddish begonia leaves--hugs, Julierose

chrisknits said...

Oh, that day sounds perfect! Except for the flowers, I am not a gardener, and allergic to most florals, so I avoid green houses! I am pretty sure my presence sends the poor flowers into trembling at the thought my brown thumb might kill them. LOL!

Pamela said...

Day one looks fabulous! Lucky you to be able to attend with your friend.

jacaranda said...

What a fabulous start to the long weekend, especially with lovely company.