Sunday, March 22, 2020

Home Projects

While we are all staying at home I've got plenty to keep myself occupied. The ABC news website a few days ago had this article: "Coronavirus quarantine fine time to get out sewing machine and indulge in new hobby". Not a new hobby for me, but I will definitely be getting some sewing done. Maybe I'll even sew up some t-shirts I cut out months ago!

One member of my quilting group came up with a "Super, scrap-using, stay at home sew-along", making X-plus blocks. The blocks can be assembled into donation quilts, or used for ourselves. The point is to do something and keep in touch while we can't have our regular meetings and sit and sew days. Someone else came up with the idea of a WhatsApp group so we can share progress. That was a bit of a challenge for me as I've never used that app before.

Anyway, here's my test block made this afternoon:
I think the aqua I used is too light - it gets lost against the background. But maybe among a bunch of other blocks it will be fine.

Another new challenge is making a crochet pattern I bought after seeing pictures of the "Rainbow Barf Cat Scarf" online. Of course I don't have the yarn that the pattern calls for, or anything like it. Apparently the standard yarn in North America is similar to 10-ply in our system. All I have is 8-ply, so I will have to see if I can make it work somehow. I've also never done the stitch the scarf uses, so this was my test piece:
I wasn't sure that was how it was meant to look, so fortunately with a bit of googling I found that the stitch in the pattern is called "Cable stitch", and I found clearer pictures and instructions here. Both the pattern and that page are written using American rather than British stitch names, so that just adds to the fun. Anyway, I will try another sample before I tackle the scarf.

Out in the garden there is lots to be done. Today I made a start on cutting back the lambs ears dead flower stems, so that the plants go from this:

 to this:
Much neater! I got two clumps done, and there are quite a few to go. There are several other plants that will benefit from dead-heading, as well as lots of weeding to do, so I don't think I'll be running out of things to do in the garden for quite a while.

Hope you are managing to be productive while not going out!

10 comments:

jacaranda said...

I am sitting here watching the football to an empty MCG, read the paper, did a load of washing and made fried rice for dinner.....trying to keep to a routine.

Jeanette said...

It is easy to find things to do both in the garden and inside. Thank goodness for autumn clean up tasks and a well stocked fabric and yarn stash.
Waved to my neighbour 3 houses away while putting the bins out. Nice to still keep in touch even if it is from a distance.

Pamela said...

I spent the weekend at home, even though I can go out if I want. I read a mystery cover to cover and stitched. If we end up locked down like much of the world, I will have a lot to do at home.

It looks like you have plenty to keep you busy! It’s amazing how many differences there are between British English and American English.

Jeanette said...

That scarf pattern could only appeal to someone who does not have to clean up after cats. The worst is when you hear it happening but cannot find where.

Julierose said...

I am hand quilting while the back heals and trying limited time on my treadmill (10 minutes) and sewing machine (15 minutes)..and reading ..
Of course that ubiquitous laundry is ever present and cleaning, too...--who is that said housework is never done--you do it and then it starts all over again! S I G H ...

At least we have a sunny, if cold (27 degrees F) this morning...The c-virus is starting to really hit our state (Connecticut) here on the East Coast...we receive mail with gloved hands and are staying in...
maybe a solitary stroll around our area but that is it..
Learning to drink my coffee black--dairy is non-existent, as is meat and paper products..--got some powdered milk on hand though...
And still some people don't take this seriously...hard to believe
hugs from afar--stay safe now Julierose

Turid said...

A beautiful block you made. We're so lucky to have our hobby just now, and always. Stay strong, we'll manage.

Sue SA said...

I locked myself in the sewing lounge for two days in honor of National Quilting Day - a USA lead celebration I am sure but the kids pointed it out on my calendar so I was "forced" to celebrate! LOL! In the end even I couldn't spend the whole weekend sewing and spent some time in the garden, baked biscuits (in preparation for kids being home for three weeks !) and went for a walk.

Cheryll said...

Yes I think us quilters are lucky in that sense. AlWaYs something to sew...
I've been out in the garden too... mulching & weeding...looks very NeAT at the moment. Hubby is trimming bush so trying to keep occupied as well.
Take care & stay safe...xox

Laura said...

I think the aqua in your block is fine. I've been working a little in my yard too, but the weather has been very cool, and today it rained. I am a fair-weather gardener!

Vivian said...

Yeah, crafter's were way ahead of the curve when the call came to find something to do while "sheltering in place"! I hope I can catch up on enough of my UFO quilt projects to get to those other "I never have time" crafts I always want to do. Crochet is one and learning to knit socks would be the other. So much stash and now so much time too!!