Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Windflowers

Last year my pink Japanese windflower didn't flower, but this year it is:
And there are heaps of buds to come:
Hooray! I hope the white one flowers as well. It would be nice to see them both at once.


Back in January Jo did a post about her broken herringbone table runner. I was quite fascinated by how it went together, and wanted to give it a try. Since then I have cut a bunch of rectangles out of fabrics in my scrap basket. Today after making my daily x-plus block, I set about starting to sew those rectangles together:

You might notice these are not all seamed. At the moment they are columns of arrow shapes pointing up; the downward v-shapes are not joined yet. When the columns are long enough they will be sewn together to make a flat surface which will become a donation quilt.

Because all those fabrics are out of my scrap basket, they don't count as stash use. But here's how the stash is going at the end of March:


Thread:
No spools emptied, none added.
Year to date - no change.

Dress fabric:
None used, 1.25m added.
Year to date - up 1.25m.

Quilt fabric:
1.3m used, none added
Year to date - down 4.3m.

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

So will you have to do a zig zagging seam to join the columns?

A great display of wind flowers. I should move mine so they get more sun.

Julierose said...

Gorgeous windflowers! What a lovely pink/lavender shade...
I made, what I called , a "Bunkhouse" quilt like that for my grandson's first Big Boy Bed quilt..it was a fun sew..there is a book out called "French Braid Quilts" that I used with all kinds of interesting variations on this too...I like your scrappy take on this..
~ ~ ~ waving from across the ocean Julierose ;)))

ButterZ said...

You have done very well with your broken herringbone. Your flowers are great

jacaranda said...

The centre of your windflower is fantastic, those stamens are interesting. Love your herringbone piece, a great way to use up scraps.

Cheryll said...

Your flower is gorgeous... & just what the world needs ATM.
Good luck with your herringbone as it looks interesting.
Stay away & stay safe...xox

Sue SA said...

Stunning flowers in your garden, especially love pink flowers at the moment. I normally plant up in autumn, but was going to give it a miss this year because of the virus...then I saw that the nursery are doing home deliveries and we had half an inch of rain overnight, so gardening is a given now LOL!
That herringbone is fantastic, no idea how it goes together, but looking forward to seeing it progress.

chrisknits said...

What an interesting pattern, must watch for your finish.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gee thanks! ANOTHER fantastic pattern that I want to add to my TO MAKE list. Sigh... How will I ever whittle down my list?