Thursday, January 9, 2020

Observing Magpies

Watching me eat my breakfast this morning:
Two of "our" magpie babies sitting on the shade sail. All six of the family (parents, one adult helper and three babies) are out the front of our house most mornings and at various other times during the day. It is now over two months since the babies left the nest; their flight is improving with just a bit of a flutter as they land, and they are quite capable of feeding themselves now.  Here's one searching for food:
It managed to find something and swallow it just after I took the photo. However the babies still ask adults for food, and the adults will still give them some.

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Fascinating...I don't think we have magpies where I live...at least I've never seen any...hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

Young magpies are keeping close to parents near here too, but at least the demanding squawking has finished for this year. I wonder what the magpies are saying to each other about your breakfasting habits.

Marie Králová said...

Nice bird feeding. I'm still thinking about you. I hope the fire is far from you.
Marie

Vireya said...

Thank you, Marie. Yes, the fires are a long way from us at the moment.