Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Christmas Challenge

This year's challenge theme was, "What's in your garden?" Around the time the theme was announced I first saw the Hoffman "Dream Big" panels, and had the idea of using the panel for my challenge. In early March I bought the "Opal" colour:

I thought the panel needed a little something to properly represent my garden, so I purchased from Spoonflower a piece of fabric featuring large bees.

When I buy plants for the garden, one of my considerations is whether they will provide food for our bees. For example, all my dahlias are open-centred, not the pom-pom type that the panel appears to be. So I planned to quilt the centre to look more like an open-centred dahlia that bees love.


Last month I fused the bees to the panel, did a bit of free-motion embroidery on them, then started the quilting.

17th November:

On the 19th November, I had lunch with a couple of quilting friends, and while they admired my quilting so far, they pointed out that the bees' eyes were a problem. Jenni pinned a piece of black chiffon over one of them, and it was instantly improved:
Blurry photo without the flash, but you can see that the dark eye is much better. Jenni gave me a couple of pieces of chiffon so that I could fix the eyes.

I continued with the quilting. By the 29th November, I was reaching the edges of the panel:
I changed threads as I quilted from the centre to the edges:
The quilting was completed on the 2nd of December:
Photo outside in the evening, making the colours look a bit cooler.

But the white eyes were still there, waiting to be fixed. I used a technique learnt in the Christine Lethlean workshop in August. I covered the whole area with the chiffon, stitched it in place, then cut away the excess.

Eyes fixed, batting and backing trimmed:
Flash photo inside.

Measuring the quilt top, I discovered it was 100cm from top to bottom, but 106cm from side to side. It looked a bit odd; not square, but not rectangular enough to look like a rectangle. It was meant to be square when purchased, so I don't know if it shrank with pre-washing, or if the quilting pulled it in more in one direction than the other. I eventually decided to trim 6cms from the width to make the quilt square.

That was a bit painful!

Hand sewing the back of the binding on 4th December:

And today, after completing the binding, here is the finished quilt:
 And here it is flapping in the breeze in the sun, so you can see more of the texture:

Tonight was the challenge reveal.

I did not win the prize.


13 comments:

Jeanette said...

It is so beautiful. The quilting gives so much life to the panel. And the bees really add to the story.
You have won yourself a beautiful new seasonal quilt for your hallway. One that any gardener would love to have.

Maria said...

Oh WOW! that's gorgeous.. What a beautiful job of quilting and embellishing the challenge quilt...

Pink Rose said...

Wow and double wow Vireya ,this is stunning and what an awesome job you did of the FMQ,the bees eyes are perfect now ,what a great idea that your friend had.
You should be very proud of yourself my friend,and if it was up to me you would've won first prize.

Julierose said...

This is a stunning piece of quilting and applique, Vireya...just gorgeous-
I am sorry that you didn't win--

but wait, hold the phone,
you did WIN--;)))
Just look at the lovely piece you now have...What a coup!
I just love the creative idea you had and how you executed it...great job hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

In my eyes you have won, WOW!!! a beautiful work of art that will look so lovely on your wall. So pleased you liked the idea of the black chiffon on the bees eyes.

Sue SA said...

WOW that is a stunning quilt! Love your quilting, looks amazing.

Laura said...

Well, the quilt that one must have been absolutely amazing, because yours is spectacular! I love the quilting and the scale of the bees. It is perfect!

Jo said...

It is absolutely amazing. You did a fantastic job

MLM247 said...

Absolutely stunning. This could be a case of the best horse not winning the race. I certainly hope you enter this masterpiece in many competitions around the state.

Pamela said...

This is fabulous! Very well done!

Wendy said...

G'day Vireya.
Fantastic work on the Panel - I saw them at the AQC and wondered what you would do with them - Now I know!
The Bees are a fantastic addition.
Cheers Wendy.

Jeann of Melton said...

Putting the bees on really drew your eye. And your quilting is exquisite. Absolutely gorgeous quilt.

Cherry said...

Oh, Vireya - it's absolutely stunning!! The quilting texture brings the piece to life. You should be thrilled with this quilt. Can't believe you didn't win the prize.