Sunday, January 20, 2019

Wind Farm

Two weeks ago we went to look at progress on the Lal Lal wind farm (which is not actually in Lal Lal, but a few kms on either side of us). This is what we could see on the 5th of January:
A few towers beginning to grow, and on the ground beside each of them, three enormous blades.

Who knew the blades have serrated edges?

While out driving yesterday afternoon I saw that one of the towers has now got to this point:
Sorry about the terrible photo. I did not have my camera with me, so had to zoom in with my phone. I was about 3km away from the tower, to give you some idea of how much zooming I had to do and how big it is.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

I wonder why the blades are serrated? I wouldn't have guessed if you hadn't told us! Very interesting.

Jeanette said...

I looked it up. The serrations are on trailing edge and reduce the sound made by air turbulence. They also restrict the spread of the sound by making more high frequency sound and less low frequency. Now standard on blades. Should keep the locals happy. I think they look quite elegant.

jacaranda said...

I enjoy seeing them adorn the tops of hills, agree, they are elegant.

Jo said...

They are very big. We just watched a show of Foxtel of how the blades are made. Interesting

Julierose said...

Wow--wish our States would invest in Wind Power--the cost of our electricity has gone up astronomically...
maybe when this present administration changes --can't be too soon for me!! (Don't get me started!!;000)
Teeming rains today predicted to ice over as the temps drop this evening...hoping we don't lose power...hugs, Julierose

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya wow nearly every where we go now we see these big wind turbines,you don't realise how big they are until you get close to them,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Needled Mom said...

I'm always surprised by how big they are when you get up close to them.