Saturday, January 19, 2019

Bloom Block One

I am participating in the 2019 Bloom Stitch-Along with Cheryll at Gone Stitchin'. My quilt will be "inspired by Bloom" as I am not using the correct templates.

This is the story of my first block.

Lori Holt's appliqué method for this quilt involves backing each piece with sew-in interfacing. I haven't tried this before, but I have a big roll of interfacing helping to clutter up my sewing room, so let's give it a go!

I drew the shapes on the interfacing then stitched along the lines. I found that the lines were hard to see because of the shadow of the presser foot, so I missed the line in a few places. However an LED lighting strip arrived from China on Tuesday, which should help with the next blocks.

I didn't sew across the narrow end of these petal shapes, as that end will be hidden under the centre of the flower. It also made it easier to turn the shapes right-way out. I trimmed away a lot of the seam allowance at those points, but still had trouble making them nice pointy points. I also had difficulty turning out the leaf shapes. As a result I have ordered a skinny Clover point turner, which I hope will arrive before I tackle block two.

For the centre of the flower I used one of Karen Kay Buckley's "Perfect Circles" templates:
The advantage of the "perfect circles" is that they are made of mylar, not plastic, so you can iron over them. The strip at the bottom of the picture is my stem, made with a 6mm bias tape maker.

Then I had a slight difficulty. I planned to hold the pieces in place with dots of Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It, but the top was glued firmly on and I couldn't budge it. Instead I used a glue pen, but some pieces, particularly the stem, shifted as I sewed:
Stitched down with a machined blanket-stitch. I wasn't at all happy with my stitching, particularly on the stem. I also realised round about now that using a fabric with straight lines for the petals had not been a good idea, as it emphasised the wonkiness of the shape and of my stitching. But I'd come this far so I continued:
Now I had more things I was unhappy about! Because the fabric in the centre is quite light, the long pieces of petal underneath it are quite visible. Not in the photo so much, but in real life they are. If I had used the interfacing method the extra layer might have helped disguise them. The other thing I don't like is the big gap between the lower petals. The flower in the pattern does not look like that.

Eventually I decided that this was my practice piece, and I made it again. In the intervening hours a friend told me that the Roxanne's glue nozzle can be freed up by giving it a soak in warm water. Hooray! That worked beautifully, so for my second attempt the stem was attached more firmly and didn't move:
Changes I made: The petal shapes didn't need to be as long as they were, as a lot was hidden behind the flower centre. I drew them shorter this time. I also used a less transparent fabric for the flower centre, which helped hide the ends of the petals. I spread the petals more, although probably could have spread them a little further.

I haven't yet added the sashing to the block, as I am still considering my options for that.

Anyway, it has been a learning experience. By the time I get to the 20th block of this quilt, I hope there will be visible improvement.

See the other participants at Cheryll's Bloom Sew-Along link-up!





12 comments:

Cheryll said...

Hi BLooMeR... your block looks fantastic. You did a great job. I changed my block too... time restraints...& I have another quilt planned using the Lori Holt method... so fusible is quicker for me this time.
I love the fabrics in your block too.
This is going to be fun sewing together... xox

Pamela said...

Thanks for explaining the process and your changes! It looks good!

I took an appliqué class with Karen Kay Buckley at the Houston quilt show quite a few years ago (another still unfinished project!)

Kate said...

Loved your step by step analysis and the final block looks good.

chrisknits said...

You will be a pro in no time at all! Cute block.

Maria said...

Pretty first block and I not needle turning, just machine applique.

Jeanette said...

Great start to the quilt. Testing out fabrics and the technique has not been a waste of time, the final block looks charming. Really good machine blanket stitch.

Cheryl in Friendsville said...

Thanks for explaining your process. Your first block looks fine, the second block looks great!

Marie Králová said...

Nice project. I look forward to more pictures. M.

Jo said...

It's all a learning curve. A fun project to give it a go. Have fun with it.

Turid said...

Really sweet.

Needled Mom said...

It's nice to read all the hints. It is going to be such a cute quilt.

Susie H said...

I also noticed my points were as pointy as I would have liked but I noticed Lori's weren't either. I'm feeling OK with the process. The only change I had was that I used a lightweight fusible interfacing. After turning the shape right-side-out, I then ironed my pieces in place.

Your blocks look great. Don't sweat it. No one is going to put their nose on your blocks and it will look lovely.