Sunday, January 27, 2019

A Walk in the Cemetery

It may sound morbid, but I quite enjoy walking in cemeteries. They are usually very peaceful, and sometimes quite beautiful.

Roses and greenery in one section of the Ballarat Cemetery:

Moon gate entrance to the Chinese section:

Chinese graves:
The inscriptions are all on the side facing east (which was in deep shadow this afternoon), but I don't know if the stones mark the head or the foot of the graves.

I'm sure many Australian children have had nightmares about banksia men after reading May Gibbs' stories. This tree has a good crop of potential banksia men:




4 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya the gardens look lovely there,first time I have seen one of those banksia's xx

Lee said...

Had to Google banksia - was unfamiliar with it and the reference to the 'men'. Like you, I enjoy cemeteries too; they are peaceful, many are well-maintained and beautiful, but I also enjoy the older ones, where pioneers of the USA are buried, as my other hobby is genealogy.

Julierose said...

Oh Ballarat like in "Dr. Blake Mysteries"?? Beautiful roses there--i can see why you like to stroll there...
hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

The Moon Gate frames the space beyond so beautifully. It would be lovely to incorporate a round opening like that somewhere in the garden.