Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Orchid Gift

Today I had to take a drive to buy a gift for my sister to give to my mother for her birthday, but I think I ended up with the best gift:
Two pots of orchids! I admired the garden of the lady who was selling the item I'd gone to buy, and in response she gave me these two beauties. I offered, but she wouldn't accept any money for them. The cymbidium on the right had just finished flowering, but it has a magenta-coloured bloom. It is an offset from an orchid she has had since the 1980s, which was given to her by an elderly neighbour.

The dendrobium is covered in flowers and buds:
These flowers have a lovely perfume. My car smelt great by the time I got them back home.

Now both are in the greenhouse. A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of buds on our existing dendrobium. Look at it now:

Also in the greenhouse, the flower spike on "Ron's orchid" that I showed the beginnings of in July is very close to opening. So expect more orchid pictures soon.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Beautiful flowers and a wonderfully sweet gift!

Wendy said...

Looking Good!!
It must be a great year for Orchids - my "Supermarket Special" that has been in the bathroom for the last 14 months has several flower buds on the old stems!

Julierose said...

Just lovely flowers--love that purple shade...hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

I have the same little purple orchid, it grows in 2 long concrete tubs, I don’t look after it and it grows wildly, beautiful plants.

Jeanette said...

A well deserved gift in light of your own generosity in running around for others.