Thursday, September 20, 2018

Birds and Flowers

Spotted while out walking today, a pair of crimson rosellas paying a lot of attention to a hollow:
The hollow is bigger than it appears, as the parent bird disappeared into it completely. I presume they have young in there, but I couldn't see any other little heads sticking up. We will have to keep an eye on it over the next little while.

Further along the road I noticed a tiny bird on a fence. Zooming in with the new camera I could see it had a lighter patch over its eye:
Then it turned around just as I was lining up another shot:
When I got the photo onto the computer I was glad of the back view, as it allowed me to identify the bird as a spotted pardalote, Pardalotus punctatus. They are very tiny (8 to 10cms long) and it is almost impossible to get close enough to see them clearly with the naked eye.

Bonus side view when it turned again:


Wild flowers growing on our block. First some greenhood orchids:
Nodding greenhood, Pterostylis nutans.

Hardenbergia in flower:
The new camera handles purple a little better than the old one did.

Another test for the camera:
A clump of spring stars in the garden. In real life they are more purple than this.

A nice find in the greenhouse:
Heaps of buds on a dendrobium orchid!

And lastly, an update on the layered tulip pot:
The second layer are starting to open, only a week after the first ones. They are darker red with white edges, and a pointy shape. I'm not sure what the ghostly pink splodge above the flowers is. I think I must have had the sun shining on the camera when I took the photo.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

So many lovely things to look at in this post. Your new camera is taking some stunning photos and the spotted pardalote is my favourite bird. Been lucky enough to have one or two visit over the years.

Julierose said...

those fringed tulips are beautiful--I love that violet color and what an amazing capture of that bird...thanks for sharing hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

Rosella's nesting such a treat to see! Some Eastern rosellas have set up home in one of our nesting boxes, but not the one outside my kitchen window, which is a pity. Corellas are so playfully destructive, annoying but better they attack your garden then your roof!

Dianne said...

Wonderful photos as always Vireya,great to capture some photos of the pardalote, they are such tiny and elusive birds!