Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Spring Project

Yesterday I received a surprise gift of a new camera. It is much snazzier than my old one, with nearly double the megapixels, 5 times as much zoom, and all sorts of fancy features. So I took pictures of the dogs, and progress pictures of a garden project I was working on, and then discovered that none of those pictures really existed because I hadn't put a memory card into the camera yet. D'oh!

So, here's that garden project half-way through:
These concrete planters came from a house a few doors up from my house in Coburg. They were hand made, many years earlier, by the man who had lived there. When he was no longer around his children had a sale as they cleared out the house, and I snapped them up.

They have been empty for a while and I thought it was time to set them up near the front entrance and plant something in them.
Here they are after I finished today. The terracotta elephant and some of the other bits and pieces you can see are still to be moved away. And I now realise I didn't take any photos of the actual plantings. The rear pots each have a purple cordyline and a couple of pink-flowering Myoporum parvifolium. For the front ones, I found a couple of large echeverias we had that needed re-potting. They might be a pair, although one is nearly twice the size. Hopefully the other will catch up now it has more space. Around them I planted a small pieces of Sedum spathulifolium "Silver Blob". I hope they will all be happy and make the front entrance look good as they fill out the planters.

Speaking of planters filling out, look at this:
A tulip!
It looks as if all the first group of buds are this light pink. They should be followed by two flushes of different colours as the later tulips open. That's the theory, anyway!


6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE those concrete planters. Your tulips are going to be gorgeous.

Sue SA said...

Sounds like a lovely combo in your plants. I start out with great intentions, then forget to water them!

jacaranda said...

The tulips look great, like the soft pink. When your pots are grown, a lovely welcoming entrance.

Pamela said...

How pretty!

Jeanette said...

Great planters, they suit the house and make a grand entrance. Plant selection sounds really good for the space and colours. Congratulations on the new camera.

Jo said...

Lucky they weren't special photos you missed out on.