Sunday, October 28, 2018

Peony Update

I haven't mentioned my peonies since the last one started to grow in the middle of September. But here's how they are going today.

Firstly, the herbaceous Coral Charm:
 Last year this one delighted me with one beautiful bloom, but this year there are nine buds!

Further along the bed are the other two:
Closest to the camera is the tree peony, Vesuvian. Although it is meant to be a tree peony, so far it has not sprouted from the previous year's woody stem; it sends up new shoots from the ground each year. So it isn't getting any larger, but at least it is still alive. It seems to have only one very small bud, so might not flower this year.

Behind that is the peony rescued from a house about to be demolished in Coburg.  I didn't know what sort of peony it was, but it seems to be another tree one. It behaves like the Vesuvian, anyway. And it looks like this year I will finally discover what colour flowers it has:
I'm excited about that!




6 comments:

Jo said...

They will look beautiful when opened

Jeanette said...

This is all very exciting. Hope those nine buds don't all open at the same time.

Julierose said...

they will be beautiful--I have one peony that finally decided it liked its new home --after the transplant 10 years ago !!! It blooms now every year for me--I can't seem to grow roses here, so the peony is the next best bloom...hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

Beautiful flowers when the buds open. Will be worth the wait when it happens.

Pennie said...

Beautiful flowers... have you seen the Gogglebox segment when they watched The Gardening Show and the man who had many beautiful flowers?

Pamela said...

I've always like peonies. My mother had many of them in the back yard when I was a child. You have a lovely garden with so many interesting things.