Friday, January 15, 2021

The Garden in January

Let's start with a plant that really shouldn't be blooming at this time of year, clivias:

That might be a clue that this is a very strange summer. Today was cool and rainy. The sun came out in little patches, then another shower would come over. Some of these photos look like they were taken on a warm summer day, but in fact our top temperature was 16.4, and I think it only touched that briefly and then dropped. These photos were taken over quite a period of time, as I had to keep going back inside to avoid the rain.


Here's something more summery, a dahlia:

Some of the dahlias haven't flowered at all yet though.


Garlic:

Penstemon:

And around the edges there is a hint of the green kangaroo paws. I completely forgot they were there and didn't photograph them.


Echeveria:


This plant, xDisphyllum 'Sunburn', is a hybrid with Australian and South African parents:

Glad I finally remembered to work out what it was, as previous times I've included it in my garden round-up I've just said that the tag was hidden under it somewhere.


Red hot pokers seem to show up every month:

 

An eremophila:

Melaleuca nesophila, which I bought at Kuranga Native Nursery in February last year, flowering for the first time since:

Although it looks a bit bedraggled with the rain.

 

Daylilies:

Cornflower:

 

Buddleja:

 

Lots of salvias are flowering, including this one which I love the colours of:

While I was trying to find a nice fuchsia to photograph, I noticed this dragonfly hanging out on the bush, sheltering from the rain:

And then I completely forgot to get a flower photo.


In previous months I have said that the abutilons are always flowering, but today there are no flowers on a couple of them, and only 2 on this orange one:


Hebes:

And I missed a few, between dodging the rain showers. There are a few roses, gladioli past their best, lavender, and probably a couple of others I didn't notice. But it is interesting that January is not a great time in the garden. Last January was also not very floriferous.



9 comments:

Marie Králová said...

These are beautiful flowers. It will please the eye. Everything here is under the snow. I'm already looking forward to spring.
Marie

Jeanette said...

The drops of rain add to your flower photos. Love the cornflower blue.

Julierose said...

What lovely flowers you have blooming . Vibrant colors....thanks for sharing--our days have been unremittingly gray and dark...we could use some sunshine here...hugs from afar Julierose

Needled Mom said...

It’s so fun to see your beautiful flowers. That is such a pretty cluvia. The color is unusual..

Ivani said...

Beautiful flowers. Your garden is so colorful. Here Summer also is stranger this Year, it is rainning since the last days of December and temperature from 15 to 20°C

Pamela said...

Thank you for the garden tour!

jacaranda said...

I like your Garlic, reminds me of giant pom poms. Lovely colours in your garden.

Dianne said...

So many gorgeous blooms! The Dahlia is stunning, and I always have a soft spot for cornflowers, they were one of the flowers in the “ Bambi” seed mix when I was little!

hetty said...

I love seeing your beautiful flowers. Our world is covered in snow. Only a few indoor plants are blooming. I have a Clivia too, but it was neglected when I was in the hospital. It is slowly recovering but I don't think it will bloom until next year.