Saturday, January 9, 2021

Preparation

Not a new project - just yet. These pieces are not sewn, just pinned up for me to see how they would look:

Not my own idea, this is Plaid-ish, a free pattern you can get from here: Kitchen Table Quilting. I may have done some cutting out, but I've put it aside for later when I want some simple piecing to do. It will become a donation quilt at some point this year.

 

My only actual sewing today was joining the strips for Frolic's binding. I was planning to use this dark blue fabric for the binding:

It was given to me from the stash of a lovely quilter who is no longer with us. I used some of it in the blocks of Frolic, and was saving the rest for the binding. However, you should always put the binding fabric with the quilt, so that this doesn't happen:

Oops! I obviously forgot I was saving it for binding when I was making masks last year. 

Fortunately there was still enough for me to cut the required binding strips (note to self: I cut the binding 6cm wide). They are now joined and pressed and ready to be attached once the quilting is complete.

 

 


13 comments:

Ivani said...

Plaid-ish looks cool! A great pattern to use up all those small scraps. So colorful and happy, just perfect for adding some colors to someone life. It seems you picked the perfect fabric for binding Frolic. Happy and safe weekend Vireya.

ButterZ said...

Lucky there was enough for the binding....

Julierose said...

I downloaded that plaidish pattern...it is really neat...
hugs, Julierose

Marie Králová said...

It will be a nice project. I decided this year to finish 2 sewn products ("skeleton in the closet").
Marie

Needled Mom said...

Oh...I’ve done that too! Glad you still had enough. That Plaidish quilt is on my list. Great looking so far.

Jeanette said...

Glad the pattern has the -ish on the end. Where the rows and columns intersect the colour lightens, rather than darkens. Still, looks very cheerful.
Didn't need the reminder of all the mask making, still in recovery from that effort!

Maria said...

oh no! I've done that too. lucky there is enough left for the binding..
The Plaidish quilt will make a good mens quilt.

Pamela said...

Glad there was still enough for the binding! I like plaid-ish.

Turid said...

So clever to pin it up before starting sewing them together. I always skip that, and jumps into problems. But it's patchwork we're doing, and I can always find something else to use when I miss a fabric.

jacaranda said...

A very interesting pattern. Glad there was enough for the binding.

Marie Králová said...

Vireya, thank you very much for your answer. I also found the name mill wheel.
Thank you for all the visits to my blog. Marie

Cherry said...

Plaid-ish is fun! And I love the blue fabric - glad there was just enough for the binding.

Vivian said...

Loving how the fabrics, colors and values are working together for Plaid-ish! Looks like a fun one. Hmmm, might wind up being one of those too pretty to leave home when done. Whew! You had enough to squeeze out your binding from what you have left. Nothing worse to be so close to finishing and come up short!