Sunday, January 31, 2021

Greenery

Because I finished January's project early, I gave myself permission to start another one, and work on it for the rest of the month. So after two days, here is the background for what will become Alex Anderson's Birdhouse quilt:

Alex is running classes in various applique methods on YouTube for this quilt. Hers looks like this (although I think this is a progress shot, rather than her final layout):

I'm making mine portrait orientation, so I can hang it in my hallway once it is finished.


Today also involved some unpicking:

This is a project that has been hanging around in my sewing room for I'm not sure quite how long. It is a try-out of a summer dress pattern, that I was making in some inexpensive fabric. I made a mistake in putting in the pockets, and stopped. The issue was that the invisible zip in the side of the dress had to extend past the top of the side-seam pocket. I didn't know how to fix it so did nothing. However, I recently found an amazing Russian YouTube video on how to do this. (If you are interested: it's here.)

I'm not sure there is enough seam allowance for me to do the Russian technique. I might just remove that pocket altogether. But either way, I needed to unpick the very securely sewn on pocket bags. It took me about an hour, but it is now done and the dress can proceed.

 

This afternoon we visited a new (at least to us) nursery that our next-door neighbours told us about. 

It has a great selection of indoor plants, as well as interesting native plants, a coffee/snack van and lovely gardens to enjoy.
It is called Birdsong Nursery, and is apparently in Smythesdale, although Google maps says it is in Scarsdale. Apparently it has been open for a year, but as it is not on a main road we never would have found it on our own.
 

 






7 comments:

Janice said...

Have fun with your new project. It sounds interesting and good luck with the pockets. The nursery looks lovely, even if just to visit for coffee.

Pamela said...

Your birdhouse start is gorgeous. The greens are very calming. Good job on getting the dress going again!

Cheryll said...

Love the birdhouse hanging...& good luck with the pocket & zip. Always a nice way to spend some time... visiting a plant nursery...xox

Marie Králová said...

The project with the birdhouse will be nice. Thanks for the link to sew zippers. Sometimes I sew clothes for granddaughters. It will come in handy. Marie

Julierose said...

Loving your new project--especially pertinent as you love to garden and are so involved with plants--that green is perfect...
Enjoy the new project
Hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

You are on a roll with your projects. So happy you are doing an appliqué one!

jacaranda said...

The nursery looks lovely, especially like the pond. You are keeping busy with your sewing.