Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Seasonal Changes

Piinpi is an Indigenous word used in parts of far north Queensland to refer to the changes of seasons. Piinpi: Contemporary Indigenous Fashion is an exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery (for another week or so). A friend asked if I would like to go and see it with her, and I jumped at the chance. 

When I left home this morning it was 10 degrees, drizzly and overcast. Our weather station tells me our top was 16.6; not quite summer temperatures. (I'm not complaining, I'd rather have a cool summer than bushfires.) Somewhere on the road to Bendigo we crossed into another climatic zone, where summer has already arrived. In that northern part of the state the land is dry, the sun is strong, and the temperature was nice today (top of 23.4) but will be far too hot in a few days.

 


This beautiful silk gown designed by Lyn-Al Young is called Towera (Fire). My phone picture doesn't capture the fire colours of it well.

There is a nice report of the exhibition with better photos than mine here: https://viva70.com/piinpi-contemporary-indigenous-fashion/


This linen dress and accompanying fascinator feature one of my less favourite creatures:

Ithitha (Bullant) designed by Suzanne Atkinson and Eva Ponting. (The label didn't make it clear if they each designed one piece, or if they designed the whole outfit together.)


There are several other interesting exhibitions on at present, including the Paul Guest Contemporary Drawing prize. This entry, COVID Dis-Comforter by Nicole O'Loughlin, caught my eye:

You need to enlarge that photo to see some of the details of her observations of covid life, or you can read all about and see some good close-up photos of it on Nicole's website here: https://www.nicoleoloughlin.com/covid-dis-comforter

This little section echoed my experience of last year!



5 comments:

Julierose said...

Sounds like it was a great installation!! Love that red Covid piece...hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

So good to experience art in a gallery again. As always Bendigo Gallery staged the works superbly.

Pamela said...

What wonderful exhibits! I look forward to feeling safe and going out.

Cherry said...

Oh My Gosh!! The 'flatten the curve' section truly represents my creative output for 2020. LOL!

Vivian said...

Great outing and it's nice to be able to start doing things like that again. Yeah, that block says it for us all!! I'll bet the pandemic generates a lot of reflection quilts like happened after 9/11.