Thursday, February 13, 2020

Blue Lotus

This was the focus of my travel eastward:
Blue Lotus Water Garden. The garden is amazing, and getting there early on such a hot day was a good idea. We were able to see everything before the very hottest part of the day.

Not a lotus, not blue, but this is the plant known as the blue lotus, Nymphaea nouchali:
Native to southern and eastern parts of Asia, and the national flower of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Lotus
Lotus
Lotus
Lotus as far as the eye can see:

Several greenhouses provide sheltered environments for plants from the tropics, which need warmer water than usually found in this part of the world. This is the "crocodile plant", Euryale ferox:
Its amazing leaves unfold into a large flat disc covered in sharp spines that look like rose thorns.

The blue aster waterlily needs water over 24 degrees to survive:
Its leaves are almost as lovely as the flower.

Another tropical waterlily:

Today was such a hot sticky day that we felt like we were in the tropics even outside the greenhouses. Here's my friend enjoying one of the many welcome shade pavilions dotted around the gardens:

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you may remember my disappointment last year that the Amazon waterlilies were not on display at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. But thanks to the Blue Lotus Garden, I have now seen one:
Hooray!

A leaf beginning to unfurl, a flower just opening, and what looks like a bud emerging:
The Amazon waterlily was a highlight for me.

We ate lunch at the cafe at Kuranga Native Nursery in Mt Evelyn. The nursery has a lovely display of plants and garden goodies:

  
I had to restrain myself as I had a long train journey ahead. So my only purchase was:
Melaleuca nesophila, which was labelled with the common name of Western tea-myrtle. (If you are reading this, Sue, this might be the plant in your neighbour's garden.)

When I got back to Ballarat I found that scans had uncovered some new issues with Mum. That bad news made me glad I had taken this wonderful short break away. It was easier to face the situation when feeling refreshed from spending time seeing and doing such interesting things.





5 comments:

Jeanette said...

So glad the gardens lived up to your expectations and that your had a wonderful time. An amazing and comprehensive report on the day although it is very easy to take beautiful photos there.

jacaranda said...

Stunning, stunning and more stunning, the beautiful lotus.

Julierose said...

Just lovely water lilies--I have never seen any in bloom either...
sorry to hear about your Mom's disappointing scan...
wishing you the best...hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

Beautiful garden, such amazing water plants. I am really keen to make a water garden now! So sorry to hear about your Mums test results. That is most definitely the plant that I have been after, thank you I am going to order some for my autumn planting.

Marie Králová said...

It was a beautiful trip. Marie