Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Eastward Ho!

After a couple of friends visited an attraction in Yarra Junction last summer, we made an arrangement for the three of us to go there together this summer. This is the week we settled on. Unfortunately one of us had to cancel, and my own participation was in doubt until yesterday, due to uncertainty about my mother's situation. My first step was to travel 150km east, to spend the night at the home of skippingstitches, ready to travel the last 40km tomorrow.

After visiting my mother (who has been moved to a quieter room, but this one has even less view than the previous one. In the new one, the bottom section of the windows has been painted over.) I took a train to Melbourne, then a suburban train to the eastern suburbs. I arrived early enough for us to take a trip this afternoon to the TarraWarra Museum of Art.

Avenues of poplar trees lining the driveways:

Netted grapevines above the carpark:

And in the foreground of a view very different to the basalt plains of the western side of Melbourne:

The exhibition we had come to see is Assembled: The Art of Robert Klippel. My flashless phone photos can not do the pieces any justice, so click that link if you would like to get a better idea of his work.

The sculptural pieces were fascinating, and made for interesting shadows,

but I liked a lot of his two-dimensional works as well, such as this lithograph with gouache and collage, (Untitled),

In the grounds of the museum is this installation; Valhalla by Callum Morton.
Callum Morton was the creator of the somewhat creepy large head I visited last month. As this explanatory sign says,
this work is also disturbing. There was no simulated smoke or silent attendant today, but the sounds experienced inside the work were unsettling.

I enjoyed this visit to a place I didn't know existed before today, and am looking forward to tomorrow's adventure.

3 comments:

jacaranda said...

Sad I missed your adventure.......

Jeanette said...

Your photos of the Yarra Valley are beautiful. And of course they are poplars.

Marie Králová said...

Very interesting and varied excursion.M.