Monday, January 25, 2016

Insect Oddities

While out walking last night, I found this collection of critters crossing the road:
Probably some species of sawfly larvae. I was worried they might get run over, but on our way back they were almost to the other side of the road. No cars went past for at least the next 10 minutes so I guess they made it safely.

Today when I was pegging out some washing, this was sitting on the washing line post:
Probably the biggest fly I have ever seen. The post it is sitting on is 3cm on each side, which will give you some idea of its size:
I believe it is some species of tachinid fly (Rutilia sp). They eat nectar, and parasitise scarab beetles. Very beautiful iridescent colours, and not dangerous to humans, fortunately!

1 comment:

Ivani said...

We found a black group like this days ago in our garden It's very interisting the way the move together.