Friday, November 6, 2015

But is it Art?

This is the result of a busy week:

It's my entry in the M.A.D.E. (Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka) challenge, Songs of Freedom - Celebrating Democracy.  I started it on Monday, and it had to be handed in this afternoon. So my week went something like: laying out fabrics on Monday, sewing bits together on Tuesday, quilting on Wednesday, facing on Thursday, and adding a hanging sleeve this morning.

I took it to M.A.D.E. this afternoon, but the guy working on the desk didn't know anything about entries arriving, and didn't know what to do with it. But I left it with him, and it may never be seen again. For me the challenge was to actually create the piece (because I felt like giving in several times) and get it finished, rather than entering the competition. So I'm pleased I got it done, and met the deadline, but not overly pleased with the outcome. It's obvious it was thrown together very quickly. And if it gets lost somewhere and doesn't end up in the competition, I won't mind!

After handing it in, I enjoyed the rest of the afternoon. First I visited the Archibald Prize exhibition at the Ballarat Art Gallery:

 And then I went to see The Dressmaker at the wonderful cinema 1 at the Regent Cinemas:
It's my first trip to the cinema here. It's a multiplex, but I expect that only one of the cinemas is as grand as this. The film was very entertaining, but doesn't include much sewing!

2 comments:

Marly said...

I can see you've included a text in the quilting, but what is it? I'm afraid I can only make out a few letters.

Marly said...

As for your question: Why not?