Saturday, November 7, 2015

Chooks and Koala Count

The chooks enjoying their first chance to get out of their coop and roll around in the dirt since arriving at Lal Lal:
Their fox-proof coop has a steel mesh base, so they can't have a dust bath in it. So today they thoroughly coated themselves with dust, then lay in the sun. Do they look happy?

This evening we went for a walk, armed with binoculars and cameras, looking for koalas. We often hear them at night, and a week or so back we actually saw one but I didn't have my camera with me. So for the 2015 Koala Count, we headed to where we thought we had a good chance of finding one.

Our total koala sightings were - zero! But as we were returning home, we spotted a different native animal crossing the road about 100 metres ahead of us. By the time we reached the spot, it seemed to have disappeared. After a bit of searching we found its hiding place:

An echidna in a drainpipe!

We know there are echidnas around, as we often find where they have been scratching around the base of trees. We even saw one recently, when once again I didn't have my camera with me. But this time I have the photographic evidence!

No comments: