Saturday, November 3, 2018

Popping Peonies

Early this morning as I was going to let the chooks and ducks out, a dark red something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. When I lifted the peony leaves out of the way, this is what I found:
The unknown peony bud I posted last Sunday has opened! This plant grew from a piece of root dug up from the garden of a house in Coburg which was demolished three years ago. I couldn't remember what colour flowers the peony had, as it is probably nearly 10 years since I saw it in flower. But as soon as I saw it this morning, I remembered. Or maybe my brain is playing tricks on me, and I only think I remember it. Either way, it is a gorgeous flower!

My Coral Charm peony buds are much more obvious, being on the top of the bush rather than down underneath the leaves. And here's the first one just starting to open:

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Gorgeous poppy color--one of my favorite for fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

Beautiful! Just wish our climate was well suited to these beauties, because I would have a garden full of them!

jacaranda said...

What a beautiful deep colour and a lovely surprise.

Jeanette said...

I don't know which I like more, the wine deep colour or the beautiful ruffles. Great save.

Cherry said...

The dark red peony is stunning!

Marly said...

Wonderful dark red peony. You have a real treasure there!

Needled Mom said...

I love peonies! The dark red is so pretty.