Thursday, November 1, 2018

Good Fortune

Overnight Bonnie Hunter released the introduction to her mystery quilt for this year, Good Fortune. The colours are inspired by her trip to China last year.

Bonnie gives paint card details for assisting with colour selection, but the brand of paint she specified is not available in Australia. A quilter named Christal took the RGB codes of the paints from the manufacturer's website, and produced this in Photoshop:
It looks like a strange colour scheme. But the two oranges are meant to represent a range of orange fabrics, not two different colours in the quilt. Likewise the three neutrals are just a range of shades. So in reality the scheme is a double complimentary scheme, with blue-orange as one pair, and red-green as the other. Plus the neutrals which make up 40% of the quilt, if the fabric requirements are anything to go by.

If I do the mystery (of course I will, I enjoy it too much to not do it), will I stick to Bonnie's colours? That might depend on what I find in my stash.

Meanwhile, some more good fortune:
Phew! That's about 30cm of bobbin thread, which was all that was left on the bobbin when I tied off the last bit of quilting on the 14th charity quilt:
Not that you can see the quilting very well. And there is no point showing the back, as it is also patterned so the quilting is hidden there as well.

Here's a closer view of the border, where I have turned up the contrast a bit in the hope that you can see the feathers:

I might have to take a break from these for now, and concentrate on finishing a few of my own projects. I have a Christmas Challenge that isn't even a top yet. And it is due in just over a month!

6 comments:

jacaranda said...

Bonnie always does interesting patterns, hope you are going ahead with it

Jo said...

I've just printed the requirements

Needled Mom said...

I am looking forward to the mystery too, but think I will change the colors as well.

Julierose said...

Beautiful feather quilting, Vireya! I don't do mystery quilts (I only read mysteries lol) as they make me too anxious...BUT...I LOVe watching how everyone's quilt come together and how they use color....hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

Felicitations on your bobbin victory. It is a race not often won.
I'm not sure about Bonnie's colour scheme, it looks rather flat. Also, there is great quantity of orange in the fabric listing, I would add golden yellow and move the green to more of an aqua green.

Lee said...

I've decided I'll just be following along, saving & printing. One thought I had with the orange since it's the 2nd largest fabric requirement is that perhaps some will be used as border though she didn't indicate that a specific 'piece' size was needed. If it's a border, and I were doing it, I'd probably change that out after seeing the rest of the quilt. I can tolerate some orange, but not a heavy amount of orange. That's part of the fun of Bonnie's mysteries - one can change up the colors, sometimes improving to one's own tastes, or ending up quite the opposite - it's fun to watch what comes about from others on the Facebook group site. Also, in true light, the paint chips colors come across more vibrant - think as with primary colors for the blue, red, green & orange - rich & vibrant; the image from the Sherwin Williams site, at least on my computer screen, does indeed look flat.