Thursday, November 15, 2018

Around the Garden

The theme of the guild Christmas Challenge this year is "In My Garden". This pin is in my challenge piece:
Yes, today I was basting my quilt. I now have 19 days to get it finished! A bit different to last year, when I was quilting my Christmas challenge quilt in August.

Here's some of what is happening in the real garden.

The roses seem to be slow this year, but a few are starting to get going.
 The rose above is "Raspberry Tiger", and the one below is "Granada".
 Both of them are from the lucky dip box of end-of-season roses.

"Margaret Merril" is not new this year, but I don't seem to have ever posted a photo of it before:

"Friesia" is gorgeous every year:

The rescued Chinese ground orchids were taken out of their pot and planted in the garden earlier this year. They've just started flowering, too:

The most striking thing in the garden at the moment is this:
 Maybe it doesn't look too amazing there, but what if I step back a bit:
It's a monster echium! I'm hoping it continues to grow tall, and doesn't meet the same fate as last year's.

6 comments:

jacaranda said...

Beautiful roses and that amazing echium is wonderful.

Jeanette said...

Raspberry Tiger looks good enough to eat. You did very well in the lucky dip.

Marly said...

You've got a natural Christmas tree there. There's no need for decorations; it's grown its own!

Julierose said...

Love that Raspberry Tiger rose--I've not seen that variety before...what type is it? Meanwhile.....
we have snow-covered ground....early this year for it...hope it's not a preview of what is to come...;000
hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

Beautiful roses! I always was scathing of roses, thought they were ugly unless flowering, but i have become a convert! And your Echium is fantastic, another plant on my wish list I need to find room for.

Needled Mom said...

That Echium is just gorgeous and so interesting.