Saturday, June 16, 2018

Swan Repair

I am the proud owner of two tyre swans, both retrieved from hard rubbish collections when I lived in Coburg. I don't know how old they are, but they pre-date steel-belted tyres. Both of them had seen better days, with their wooden supports having rotted away, and their necks rather floppy.

Since we moved here the swans have been part of a collection of "stuff" waiting to be dealt with. But unbeknownst to me, they have recently had some attention. This afternoon I was presented with the last of my birthday gifts: repaired swans!
The classic black swan above, and the exotic white one below. These swans came from different houses, but appear to have been cut from the same pattern. Perhaps they were made by the same person, or maybe there were published instructions that both makers followed.
The white one's neck is still a little wonky, but they have no trouble sitting up straight now that they are mounted on concrete blocks.

So now I just need to decide what to plant in them, and where to put them in the garden.

3 comments:

Vireya said...

I need a third one for this to constitute a "collection".

jacaranda said...

You have had a wonderful birthday of gifts.

Jo said...

I'm sure whatever you plant in them you will get to look lovely