Saturday, November 26, 2016

The Mystery Begins

Late last night Bonnie Hunter released the first clue of this year's mystery quilt, En Provence.

This year I'm not altering the sizes of the units, or being adventurous with colours.  I'm planning to make about a quarter to a third of the units each week, then see how I feel about it when the mystery is revealed. I have enough fabric to make it full-size later if I want.

The first clue is pretty easy, just neutral 4-patches. Straight after breakfast I cut a strip from each of the neutral fabrics I had pulled out ready, without counting how many the strips would make. When I finished stitching what I had cut, it turned out I had 72 4-patches waiting to be pressed:

Stitched together in lots of 10 so I could keep track of how many I had made. 72 is about a third of the total amount, so I will leave it at that.

Here's the first one complete:
I'm trying to get a bit more variety into my neutrals this year, rather than just using light beiges. But I don't see a lot of the sorts of "neutral" fabrics Bonnie uses. I wonder if that's just that they don't attract my attention in the shops, or if they just aren't there to notice in the first place? Here's a selection of completed units showing the range of fabrics I'm using:
 And now I have to wait another week for the next clue.


Linked to Bonnie's first weekly link-up.

17 comments:

jacaranda said...

I am starting mine in the morning, thank you for the tip to do 1/3 as I don't think I have enough fabric. I can always go back later on down the track and make more.

Lee said...

I pretty much just puttered all day. I cleared off my cutting table late in the day though, and I had re-reviewed my fabric selections. I'm with you...not sure I'm quite there with getting the same type of neutrals that Bonnie does either...I'm attempting to though.

Terry said...

Your 4 patches are great. The fabric choices in the states include a large range of novelty prints. I spent today cleaning window frames and lending support while DH hung the new ones. Maybe tomorrow to start on the mystery.

Cherry said...

Your neutrals are looking good! Haven't started the MQ yet - maybe tomorrow. I need to take a look at my blues/blacks & make a decision on how to handle the four patches.

Florence said...

so nice to be so ahead,,,,,they look great

Florence said...

so nice to be so ahead,,,,,they look great

gayle said...

I have the same problem as you do with neutrals. I think I might not see them in the stores - my eye gets attracted to all the colors and I skip right over the quieter stuff. I've been making more of an effort to collect them, inspired by Bonnie's example, but I still have better luck online than in the fabric stores. Maybe because I can do a specific search online?

Barbara said...

I think you were successful in getting variety in your neutrals. Some of Bonnie's choices are too busy for me.

Barbara at Stash Overflow

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Looks like a good selection.

Bente Antonsen said...

Your neutrals looks great.

Andee Neff said...

I am liking your variety.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a great bunch of neutrals! I love how you photographed them, spread out like that.

Teresa in Music City said...

Loving your variety of neutrals! I think the trick is to pick up those neutrals here and there as you are shopping for other things. At one point in my early stash acquisition days, I made a deal with myself - in order to buy a bright, colorful fabric, I had to purchase an equal yardage of either a light or neutral fabric. It has really helped to balance out my stash! Although I must admit I had far fewer beige neutrals than I had thought and now must get busy replenishing them.

DobrĂ½ kousky said...

Love your neutrals :)

Laura said...

I think your neutrals are more civilized than mine! Some of mine are pushing the boundaries of 'neutral'.

Mary said...

Your neutrals look great, mine are much more subdued this time.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Hello Dear Vireya...I Love, Love your 4 patches. just beautiful.