Saturday, April 11, 2020

Groceries

Since the virus struck we have been keeping away from shops as much as possible.  The major supermarkets said they would be doing deliveries for elderly and vulnerable people, so I tried to get it set up for my father. I don't think someone in their 90s should be going anywhere near shops at the moment.

However, every time I checked the Coles website it said the priority service would be starting "soon". Fortunately Woolworths were more efficient at getting their system going, and we were able to sign up there. Deliveries are still difficult, as orders have to be done a week in advance, but the pick-up service is much more flexible.

Today we did the first pick-up order:
It worked really well. We placed the order, specified a pick-up time, and paid online. When the order is ready they send a text message. You let them know you have arrived via the app, and they bring the groceries out to you, all bagged up. It worked brilliantly!

However if Dad didn't have someone to do all this for him, the service wouldn't be of benefit to him. He doesn't have a credit card to pay for things online. He doesn't have a mobile phone to get texts or to use an app. Of course he doesn't have a car, so he can't use the pick-up service anyway. And he doesn't seem able to think of what he might need a week from now, so the delivery system just won't work for him.  I wonder how other elderly people who don't have family nearby are managing to get their groceries?

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

Great system! There have been lots of stories of neighbours helping out the older folk in the street, and volunteers are still doing food deliveries so I imagine there are ways for the most vulnerable to get the essentials. Your family are very well placed to have you living nearby.

This comment got posted to the previous post because of the pop up comment system! I think I have fixed it now.

jacaranda said...

Great system for the right person. It must be hard for the elderly without credit/debit cards and transport. The Salvation Army delivers to someone in our street. Have you tried them for your father?

Julierose said...

Sounds like a good system; we keep on getting our delivery days
pushed ahead...groceries are getting low...
HAPPY EASTER :)))
~ ~ ~ waving from still at home Julierose

Graeme said...

If only there were a similar system for getting fish and chips.

MLM247 said...

Does your father get help from My Aged Care? Somebody might be able to help if the delivery is scheduled for a time when the carer cleans his bathroom or something.
Another option might be a charity like Vinnies, Salvoes, or Anglicare who might be able to collect his groceries.
The Carers Network (or something with a similar name) might be able to help.
My City Council does a lot to help Senior citizens through this pandemic.
Some services are free but some are not.
Identify exactly, exactly, what help you need and then ring around until you get it.
Older people think they are independent and capable. At this time, that attitude will not get the required results. I am older. I have seen my own parents fall in a ghastly heap. I see the older people around me falling into a mess.
Take the leap into the deep end where the water is murky and there are hidden rocks. Sympathise for hours but then do what has to be done.
Yes, your father will not be happy the first 16 times but, after that, he will start to appreciate it.

Laura said...

My sister is making sure my mom has groceries. She is 81 and doesn't do well with technology. We tried to get her on a Zoom meeting with my siblings yesterday, but she couldn't download the App. I'm not a tech wiz either, so I sympathize with her.

Vireya said...

We can get groceries for my father because of the system this post is about. My concern was people who do not have the ability to use the new systems, and don't have family to assist.

Sue SA said...

The Coles here cancelled the home delivery system (eg bloke with a van) about two years ago so they could introduce click and collect. Then when the panic buying started they cancelled click and collect. So now all the busy Mums are in the supermarket (instead of click and collect) and the elderly are out shopping like they normally do at all times of the day and seem to have no regard for social distancing and if they are frail the bring their partner, so they are both at risk. I have done a shop for friends parents who are reasonably IT savvy but like to shop at Aldi (fair enough) but they are also super organised so only wanted a shop every two weeks. She has also taken advantage of free delivery of take away meals as a substitute to their normal meal out once a week and ordered the newspaper online. Our local butcher is doing deliveries by my mother tells me she couldn't possible work out what she wanted without seeing it all in person first! I am glad this system worked well for you and you were able to help your Dad.