Friday, April 17, 2020

Completed Herringbones

On Monday I showed the herringbones all sewn together,and said I would probably square them up next. Yesterday, rather than just trim off all those triangley edges, I got very brave and sliced right through the top vertically, then sewed the two sides together. Then I sliced through horizontally, and sewed the bottom to the top. And didn't think of taking a photo until I had nearly finished the last bit of sewing:
In the photo above I have three more short seams to sew to finish the horizontal join; between the brown stripe and blue stars, between the two purples, and a very short one to finish off at the edge. You might be able to see that I stay-stitched the cut bias edges before tackling the joins.

This photo is just before I sewed the last short section:

Today I added a border to it. If you look very closely, you might be able to see evidence of the vertical and horizontal cuts. The same fabric appears directly opposite itself, at the sides and also at the top and bottom:
In the bottom left-hand corner you can see two pieces of the same orange fabric touching each other. One started off on the right-hand side before my "slash and join" exercise. Now this quilt complies with Vireya's Law of Scrap Quilts, first formulated in 2011; "No matter how careful you are about layout, you will always find two pieces of the same fabric beside each other after you have sewn the whole quilt together."

7 comments:

Marie Králová said...

Beautiful blanket of cheerful colors. Greetings.Marie

Jeanette said...

This is insane!

You are now up for the Indefatigable quilter award.

Pamela said...

I really like this!

Julierose said...

Very pretty--what a creative put together;)))
Funny your law applies to me, too;000
~ ~ ~ the masked waving gal Julierose

Sue SA said...

This is a fantastic scrap quilt, love it! No triangles (bonus) with plenty of movement and colour. Its funny how those scraps find their mates!

chrisknits said...

Love it! And we forgive your fabric faux pas, when the rest is just gorgeous.

Vivian said...

You Law holds so very true! That's a clever solution to the squaring up process. You are truly working in the spirit with the Quilt Muses!