Saturday, August 24, 2019

Family Photo 1902

This photo shows my great-grandparents with 6 of their children, and one of their grandchildren:
I don't know where it was taken, but it appears to be a suburban back yard. The Chinese screen is an interesting backdrop on the left. I don't know what the occasion might have been. The men all have floral buttonholes, and the women are all in dark clothing. Might it have been a funeral? I don't know.

The plant growing on the right looks like a dahlia. It has buds, but I can't see flowers, which would possibly put the time of the photo as early summer. But these people really don't look dressed for summer, do they?

Another clue - they may be dressed in their Sunday best, but this photo wasn't taken on a Sunday. The next-door neighbour has washing hanging on the line, which would not have been done on a Sunday even in my childhood.

The young man on the right is my grandfather. He died when I was quite young, so I have no memories of him. And this is the first time I've seen his photo, or known anything about this part of my ancestry.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I just love old photos--what is so interesting is that obviously no one said "smile for the camera"; these were serious pictures of events, right?
My own old photos of relatives from Canada look very similar to yours...(I didn't speak English until I was 7--we spoke French in our home)
I only recognize a few of the people that my Mom had pointed out to me before she passed away; we had a few
photo reviewing sessions, which she loved to do...
nice treasure for you...;)))
hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

So good you have been able to identify the people in the photo...my FIL has an album of photos from the same era and nobody is named, so they are all a mystery! Trove is a wonderful online source of digitised newspapers for googling the past. And because birth, deaths and marriages were all in the newspaper it might be worth googling something about your relatives.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya what a wonderful pic to look at and how lovely that you now no what your grandfather looked like,he is a very handsome man,hope you have a wonderful day my friend xx

Marie Králová said...

Beautiful monument. I love family photos. But my father had already died, so I can't ask who is who on the photo of his ancestors. When I was a kid, so I didn't care, now it's too late. I wish beautiful days. M.

Jeanette said...

This is more than just a snap, a great picture and so clear and detailed. I can see a family resemblance with all that thick hair on the girls. I have an extended family group photo from around the same time and the dress is very similar Sunday best, although some lighter colours and fabrics on the women. All the men and youths have buttonholes and watch chains. That occasion was a district picnic.
With the screen put up to conceal the washhouse(?) entrance, maybe it was just an opportunity to have a photograph taken. I love that you can see the washing over the fence. I can just hear the comments when the print was collected.

Needled Mom said...

It is fun to try to imagine what the situation was when the picture was taken. I wonder why the old pictures always showed such serious faces.

jacaranda said...

I love how your observations have picked out aspects of the photo. Intriguing!! Such a clear photo that was maybe taken with a tripod stand for the camera or an old box brownie. Your Grandfather was a handsome young man. I have an old photo of my paternal grandfather sitting on a horse wearing a straw boater, these days you would have to wear a riding helmet.

Pamela said...

What a wonderful family treasure!

MLM247 said...

A lovely photo and definitely worth displaying in your home.
My father was born in 1905 but I have no photos of him until 1973. I have a photo of my maternal grandmother who was born in 1886. She is about 20 in my photo. It's funny how the baby boomers were taught to be modern and independent but now we are encouraged to remember the past. Politics and experts!!

Laura said...

How lucky you are to have such a clear family photo. A of old ones in our family are tattered and faded.