Saturday, August 10, 2019

Candles and Flames

Rhubarb and ginger cake I made this morning:
I've made this before, although not in this oven or this shaped pan, so I was a bit nervous about how it would turn out. It turned out fine, and as yummy as before.

If you would like to give it a go yourself, the recipe is from here:
https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/rhubarb-ginger-cake
However, due to ingredient availability I made the following changes to the recipe:
I used 200g self-raising flour instead of the flours and bi-carb that they use.
I used golden syrup instead of treacle.
I used dark brown sugar instead of muscovado sugar - and I didn't have 110g of it, so it was only about 80g.
Plus I had 4 sticks of rhubarb which only weighed 250g, rather than the 340g in the recipe.
And because this oven is fan-forced, I initially set it at 170, and then during cooking I dropped it to 165 and then 160 because it looked like the outside was cooking too quickly.
But apart from all that, I did follow the recipe!

Then I had to carry it up the hill during a break in the rain, for a special birthday lunch with the neighbours.

Blowing out the candles:


Later in the afternoon we started to get emergency alarms about a fire in Lal Lal:

That was a bit surprising given the almost non-stop rain we've had for the last couple of days. We couldn't tell from the map which building was on fire, so we popped down to have a look. It was the demolition yard, which we have visited a few times but which I seem to have only shown on my blog when we were looking for gates. We couldn't get close due to the number of firetrucks blocking the roads, so here's a couple of screen-shots from the Ballarat Courier story about the fire:

It will be interesting to hear what they decide caused the blaze.




5 comments:

Julierose said...

that cake sounds fantastic--hope they discover the cause of that fire--serious stuff...hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

Happy birthday G! I hope no good gates were harmed in the fire!

jacaranda said...

Happy Birthday G, hope you enjoyed your day. Must give the cake a go as we have lots of rhubarb.

Jeanette said...

Delicious sounding cake. With so many modifications you could almost call it your own. Good idea to get it down to pantry staples rather than fancy hard to get stuff.

Pamela said...

Your cake looks delicious.