Sunday, March 31, 2019

Not Blooming

Cheryll had an extra Bloom link-up yesterday, but I had nothing to show as I had done nothing since the last one. Well I've done lots of things, just not any Bloom blocks.

So today I made a start on blocks 9 and 10. Now I have all the pieces prepared, and have sewn down the green parts of block 10:
Both will be finished before the next link-up.

Also not blooming:
The tree dahlia. Will it manage to flower before the frosts arrive? No sign of buds yet, and we had an overnight low of 1 degree last week. I know last year I had the same worry when the flowers started opening in May, and they did get to flower for a while. Hopefully they will manage it again this year.

A few things which are flowering:
Sedum "cherry tart" in a hanging basket.


Tiny flowers on my spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) which has grown a bit since I got it.


And speaking of growth - when I planted the concrete pots at the front door six months ago,  I said I hoped the little plants would fill the pots, but this is beyond what I imagined:

I put one echeveria in this pot. It has grown massively, and multiplied prolifically. It has been flowering for several months, and still has new buds forming. Spinebills visit the flowers, which is lovely to see but hard to photograph.


Stash reduction progress for March:

Thread:
One spool emptied
Four spools came in and then went out again
Year to date: 6 spools emptied.

Dress fabric:
Nothing used, added 1.75m
Year to date: Down 2.25m

Quilt fabric:
Used 2.5m, nothing added
Year to date: Up 2.9m

6 comments:

Julierose said...

WOW--your sedum blooms! I've never had one do that here. My spider, though, bloomed frequently...they are a pretty hanging plant in a Wintery window for me. I also like Asparagus Ferns...
A nice 54 degrees here this morning; but dropping once again into the 30's tonight--just a Spring tease--- "April Fool" indeed this year...hugs, Julierose

Pamela said...

I love seeing your flowers. 1 degree C. That is way too cold for March. Don't you miss checking the daiy temperature each day for the quilt?

jacaranda said...

Haven't done anything.....your stats re fabric, thread etc....shows you have. Keep on enjoying your sewing and gardening.

Jeanette said...

Love the colour on the cherry tart sedum, must look out for one.
You must have created the perfect conditions for the echeveria, it looks stunning.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya your blocks are looking wonderful,love your plants you have a very green thumb my friend ,well done xx

Turid said...

What a bright and beautiful flower you made. I love this time of the year.