Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Maybe This Time?

Last month I showed a newly germinated seed which I said was a baby banksia:

As these seedlings have grown, I've been puzzled as they do not look like the banksia tree the cone came from. Eucalypts can have very different juvenile leaves to their adult ones, but do banksias?

Today I discovered that these seedlings are not banksias at all! They are actually californian poppies. D'oh! This seed-raising soil mix included compost, which obviously also included some poppy seeds.

This is what caused me to investigate more carefully:
A seedling like the original seedlings on the left, something new appearing on the right. And in another tube, one of those same new things after it has popped off the seed covering:
I would like to say that these are banksias. But I am going to wait until their next leaves appear, just in case it turns out they are actually pumpkins!



7 comments:

Jeanette said...

Poppies are nice and so are pumpkins but unfortunately they are very good at reproducing themselves. Banksia are very slow growing, so maybe they are still getting ready to germinate.

jacaranda said...

A nice surprise, poppies to put in a vase and a pumpkin to make a winter soup.

Pamela said...

Surprise! You have good eyes to watch these plants so closely.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya yes it will be a lovely surprise for you my friend ,hmm i wonder what it is xx

Jo said...

This is a growing mystery

Sue SA said...

LOL its a mystery sew along!

Marie Králová said...

It's a mystery. I'm curious what will it be?
Marie