Saturday, March 16, 2019

Bloom Seven and Eight

Another Boom instalment! Again I have made two blocks this fortnight.

I've refined my technique for these curved shapes:
In her introductory video Lori Holt said she doesn't do any trimming of her seam allowances on these shapes. I ignored that advice for the points; I've been trimming away a lot of fabric from the points right from the start (as seen in the green shapes on the left of this picture). Until now I have left the curves intact, but I wasn't happy with how the curves looked without any clipping. A bit bumpy, a bit lumpy. So this week I dug out my pinking shears, which I have not used in quite some time, and pinked all the curved areas. I was much happier with the results I achieved with this technique.

Here's block seven
and block eight
before they had their sashing added.

And here they are, with their sashing, completing the second row of the quilt:

Last time a couple of people commented on the sashing. I should have mentioned that this was not my own original idea. I googled for sashing ideas, and found a few at Alida Tweloq Designs. Alida published a few interesting sashing ideas (which she called "Smashing Sashing") for a quilt-along she was running in 2017, and this is one of them: Gemstones Sashing. I've used her idea, but rather than doing all the sashing in the same fabrics or in random colours as she suggests, mine will create a rainbow effect across the quilt.

Linked to Cheryll's Bloomers Party #5. Check out the progress!

11 comments:

jacaranda said...

Very pretty.

Needled Mom said...

Those look great and I really like that smashing sashing!

Cheryll said...

I LoVe this joining version. It looks FaNTaSTiC.
Well done & thanks for joining this party again ... xox

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya wow your blocks are looking fantastic,well done my friend xx

chrisknits said...

Great idea!! Must remember that in the future.

chris said...

Like your sashing!

Jeanette said...

Pinking, what a great way to get rid of some of the excess fabric. I was intrigued by these shears when little and got into trouble for using Mum's on paper.

Marie Králová said...

Your floral project continues nicely.
I send a greeting and thank you for visiting my blog. Marie

Pamela said...

What sweet blocks! The curves look perfect.

Susie H said...

Thanks for giving us the details of your sashing. Love the idea of the Rainbow Effect you're doing. I think that will really accentuate your beautiful flowers!

I've been tempted also to trim/clip more than Lori says she does. I don't believe it's too late for me to start and I think I'll be doing just that in future.

Sue SA said...

Looks fantastic, I really like your rainbow sashing.