Sunday, March 18, 2018

Hen or Rooster?

A member of the extended family obtained this young chook a couple of months ago. They've been waiting for it to start laying eggs, but instead it has started crowing:
It is not unknown for hens to occasionally crow, but as the family live in a suburban area, a crowing bird is not going to be good for neighbourhood harmony.
So yesterday she/he came to stay with us for a while. We are keeping him/her separate from our chooks, although in sight of them so it doesn't feel too alone. The owners do not know what breed the bird might be. It is only a few months old, but this chook is already much bigger than any of our hens. That could be because it is a meat breed rather than an egg-laying breed, or it could just be that it is a rooster.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I couldn't even guess - I have no idea!

Julierose said...

I have no idea--although my paternal grandfather was a farmer...somehow I missed out on that kind of info ;*~))) hugs, Julierose

Sue SA said...

I am all for EEO, does it matter? If you have a rooster then you might get some eggs fertilized and if its not, then you have a very nice roast dinner coming up at some stage!

Jeanette said...

I think you are providing a very good home for an obviously confused bird. Much better to be part of a flock than crowing all by yourself.

Dee said...

This site has some quite useful information on the
subject.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/How-can-I-tell-if-my-juvenile-bird-is-a-rooster-H47.aspx

Jo said...

Have fun with the early wake up calls.