Saturday, November 20, 2021

Challenging Times

On Thursday night I had another call from the nursing home, wanting to send Mum to hospital because of her fever. By that time I had had a chance to talk to my sister, and we both agreed that Mum should be left where she was. If she was dying it was better for her to be in a familiar place with people she knows caring for her. So I told the nurse to leave Mum there, and I would come and see her in the morning.


As I was getting ready to visit on Friday morning, I got another call from the nursing home to say that they had just sent Mum to hospital. 


After many phonecalls that just rang out, I eventually spoke to someone in Emergency. Mum was being attended to, but I was not allowed to go and sit with her, as they were awaiting the results of another covid test. (The nursing home had given her one on Thursday because of her elevated temperature.)


Later, Mum was admitted to the hospital, where no visiting is allowed at all. That is part of why I hadn't wanted her to be sent there.


I spent a bit of time soothing my mind this afternoon working on a Christmas placemat challenge that I am meant to have finished by next weekend, but hadn't started.

I got this far today.


Late in the afternoon, I had a call from the hospital to tell me I am allowed a compassionate visit with Mum. I didn't feel up to the drive then, after having had a sleepless night last night, but will go and see her tomorrow.



3 comments:

Jeanette said...

So difficult for you when decisions you make for the best are over ridden by the circumstances. Sewing and keeping busy is good way to manage your feelings of helplessness. My thoughts as always are with you.

Pamela said...

I can’t imagine how difficult this is. I hope your mom is improving.

Ivani said...

Your Christmas star is very pretty.
I can imagine how stressful is the whole situation. Sending prayers your way.