Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Frolic Colours Again

I'm still playing round with fabric selections for the Frolic mystery quilt. One thought was to replace the medium blue with purple:

To get more of an idea of how they might look in the final quilt, I calculated what proportion of the quilt each colour makes up, and experimented with a few options:

These all look a bit dark, but that is more to do with lighting conditions than the colours of the fabrics. This probably looks confusing, but the second one down is Bonnie's selection, with dark blue, medium blue, and aqua. The other three are my variations using purple in place of either aqua or medium blue. 

However after that playing round, I was sent a list of the DMC colours equivalent to Bonnie's paint chips.  They are 311, 3839, 3817, 3348 and 315. This is what they look like:
The "aqua" colour is not what I would call aqua. To me it is green, and in fact DMC call it "Light celadon green". The "raspberry" colour is also different to what I expected. DMC call that one "Medium Dark Antique Mauve". Seeing the actual colours is interesting. Most of the "aqua" fabrics I had selected, and which had not looked quite right, would be out if I stuck to this colour scheme. 

I also have very little fabric that matches the medium blue, or the celedon. I want to do this without buying fabric, so more playing around with possibilities is likely to occur before the first clue arrives.

7 comments:

Jeanette said...

The DMC colours are interesting. They all look a bit flat together and to me it is the "raspberry" that is pulling all the others down. Without it they look good together.
The complement of spring green is fuchsia, but there is no place for the blues.
As there is more blue than any other colour, I am going for its complement, orange yellow, instead of the raspberry.

ButterZ said...

My Aqua is a lot lighter I think but I need it to be lighter than my light blue.
It is always hard to choose what to go with.

Julierose said...

I give you credit for doing a "mystery" quilt; I tried it once and got as far as ",,,next make 100 1/2 square triangles.." nope--not for me.
So I salute you, and will thoroughly enjoy watching how yours comes together... Hugs, Julierose

Needled Mom said...

I’ve been pulling my colors this week too. The purple would be interesting.

Sue SA said...

I did a pull out of my reproduction stash, but not feeling the love. I think its the unknown that is scaring me off, because I really like the colours this year. We will see, I haven't calculated if I have enough yardage yet.

Marie Králová said...

I am also looking forward to preparing my fabrics for the Frolic mystery. M.

Maria said...

Like your selection..