Wednesday, January 5, 2022

New Year

 Happy 2022!


2021 threw one more horrible thing at me right after I wrote my last post for the year. I got an email saying that 4 residents at Mum's nursing home had tested positive for covid. The home was locked down immediately. Anyone who had visited since 21st December should monitor themselves for symptoms. So I spent the last day of the year upset and worried about Mum, unvaccinated and vulnerable with the virus around her. I expected that she would catch it and die without ever seeing anyone from her family again.

Then late in the day on new year's eve I received another email telling me that the pathology lab had made a mistake. All 4 of the positive tests were actually negative. The home was reopening to visits, residents were allowed out of their rooms again, everything back to how it was. What a relief! 

First job of the year was sewing these shorts. A finish for the first day of the year! According to my note on the pattern, I first used it in November 2001. I've made something like 60 pairs since then, but never photographed any for my blog.

The next clue for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, Rhododendron Trail, was released on new year's day. Unusually, she has us assembling blocks before the final reveal. I like that idea! I've assembled 6 so far, with several more half-sewn. I'm sure I will have them all done in time for the next clue on Saturday.

Our covid case numbers are soaring. This screenshot from the Guardian tells the story: 

What we thought were major outbreaks in the first and second waves are just little blips on that graph, barely noticeable. What we have now is an unbelievable increase every day. Today over 64,000 new cases were announced around the country. And the testing system is overwhelmed so probably there are thousands more who have not been able to get tested. I'm visiting Mum every couple of days, but apart from that I am going nowhere and seeing no-one. I am not so much afraid for myself, having had 3 vaccinations, but of potentially catching the virus and passing it on to my mother.

What will the rest of this year bring I wonder?






9 comments:

Maria said...

How annoying for you that they made a mistake but pleased they did.. Can your Mum not have the vaccine??
Cool shorts! Are they for you ?
Bonnie’s mystery is looking good….

Jeanette said...

Far too dramatic a start to the year. Not looking good for 2022 so far. Still, your sewing projects are particularly nice. Fanciful mushroom fabric is charming, my guess is they are all things you can poke a stick at.

Turid said...

Our covid care numbers are crazy in Norway too these days. I'm mostly staying home, and hoping the three vaccines I've got will protect me. Hope this is the end of the pandemic. Take care, and have a wonderful sewing time, at least. Your mystery quilt is coming along beautifully.

Julierose said...

That's a lot of new cases surging for sure!! We are finding it difficult or next to impossible to find tests here also...I hope this Omicron leaves fast...
Stay safe...
hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

Your BH blocks are beautiful! Covid is surging here too. My husband who has had 3 vaccines, tested positive on Sunday ( his mom and sister have it), but I tested negative yesterday. Both DH and I have no symptoms.

Andee Neff said...

Sorry to hear about the scare with your mom. This Covid thing is going on far too long...almost two years already. Your R Trail blocks look great. Cannot wait to see what Bonnie pulls out of her sleeve this year!

Ivani said...

I love the mushroons fabric you made the shorts. Very cool! Your blocks are perfect, love the colors.
Covid cases began to increse here, also. :(

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Its the story of our life during the pandamic. Here in the Netherlands we have for some weeks now another lockdown again. Like you I stay home a lot, because I take care of my 85 year old mother. She has, like me , 3 vaccins too, which makes that a bit more save.

Pamela said...

Hope your mother is doing well. Those shorts are cute! Amazing that you have made 60 pairs. Covid cases are starting to go up in Japan too. What do you think about the tennis player controversy? I don’t think he should be allowed to stay and play. I just read he won his case.