Friday, August 13, 2021

Empty?

The last few days have been consumed in gathering up the remnants of my parents' lives, emptying out the unit they have lived in since 2007.

Early in this whole process my sister had told me which pieces of furniture she wanted, so those have remained until now. They consisted of two large armchairs, and a kitchen dresser. She had also put aside a couple of boxes of books and other stuff which she might want. On Wednesday, after prompting from me that very few days were left to us to empty the unit, she and her husband came and took away one of the chairs. Her husband decided that they didn't want the dresser because it was a "piece of junk".

Yesterday I met up with the manager of a local op-shop who had helped me clear out all the kitchen cupboards back in June. She took away a large car-load of saleable items, such as clothing, blankets, and unwanted ornaments.

We loaded all the remaining larger bits and pieces into the ute and brought them to our place:


Including the unwanted kitchen dresser:

This morning I washed it all down, then it came inside to live:

I haven't decided yet what I will put in the top section behind the glass doors, but some of my houseplants can call it home, and the cupboards and drawers are useful storage spaces.

 

This afternoon I took (what I would like to be) my last trip to the unit. I packed my car up with the very last of the kipple, and threw into the rubbish bin various things which could not be disposed of otherwise.

I would like to say that the unit is now empty, but there is an armchair and a couple of boxes of books and other stuff that my sister "might want" still inside!

I left her a note which said, "If there are things here that you don't want, could you please dispose of them yourself? I feel like I have done enough."




6 comments:

Jeanette said...

The dresser is perfect in your house! The sunny colour really shines and it is a perfect place for the plants. Really bright glazed mug and plates would look great behind the glass.
Congratulations on finishing this harrowing task. Love the note.

Ivani said...

I imagine how stressful this whole process was.
You did the best you could, and the note is perfect.
The dresser is looking great with your plants.

ButterZ said...

Good work Vireya. Hopefully she will do her part. Good luck

Pamela said...

I know this was a stressful process in a stressful time apart from this. The plant dresser looks perfect! The note is too.

jacaranda said...

Love your sideboard, very retro and agree, it would look great in your home with bright coloured crockery.

Needled Mom said...

I’m sure you will be relieved when it is all finished. The cupboard looks nice there.