Saturday, May 22, 2021

Plaid-ish Top

 In January I posted about cutting pieces to make Plaid-ish at some time in the future when I wanted some simple piecing to do. That time arrived this week! On Sunday and Monday I sewed all my cut pieces into blocks.

Today I took the blocks along to a sit and sew day, laid them out, and shuffled them around a bit,

then sewed them all together into a top:
I can see a couple of places where the "medium" fabrics are a bit too light or too dark, but in general the plaid-like effect is visible. It works best where there is a clear difference between the darks, mediums and lights. It's an exercise in value! It was a good project for a time when I just needed something simple to sew. I'm so glad I cut all those pieces in January.

The pattern is a freebie from Kitchen Table Quilting, available here.



15 comments:

Julierose said...

I love this pattern--thanks for the link...I can see the plaid effect very well in yours...nice work hugs, Julierose

Marie Králová said...

This is a very nice project. Nice colored cubes. M.

Ivani said...

It is so pretty Vireya, like a modern Scottish. Well done.Thanks for the pattern link, I have to check it.
Have a wonderful weekend.

conny's quilts en creaties said...

What a lovely quilt this will be.

Pamela said...

This is great! I’ve never seen anything like it. Thanks for the link! I’m adding it to my someday list.

Jeanette said...

This looks great. The groups of four big light squares are most successful. The pattern would be amazing for a really big quilt!

Birdydownunder said...

Hi remember me lol I just love that quilt, I must go seek out my tartans. Hope you are keeping safe and well xx

Needled Mom said...

I love this!

jacaranda said...

This pattern is very effective. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

ButterZ said...

The plaids do show up lovely

Cheryll said...

That looks really gOOd...LoVe it...xox

hetty said...

Oh. Wow! I love that.

Maria said...

Looks great and a good scrap buster...Will check out the pattern?

Kim said...

Oh, so lovely. Love how you have played with all those fabrics to come up with your lovely arrangement. A most lovely plaid quilt top. Thank you for the link.

Vivian said...

Looks great to me! This is a good one to practice working with value. I agree with Maria it would be even more fun as a scrap project. Definitely picking this one up!