Saturday, December 12, 2020

Spotted

On our evening dog walk, a wildflower growing half way up an embankment caught my eye:

My camera refused to focus when I zoomed in on the flower, but I didn't feel comfortable getting closer to it. Someone else was willing to do the necessary rock-climbing to get a close-up:
The close-ups were uploaded to iNaturalist, where the flower was identified as a Spotted Hyacinth Orchid, Dipodium pardalinum. It is quite amazing to me see an orchid growing out of what appears to be just rock!


4 comments:

Pamela said...

Yes, Amazing!

Jeanette said...

Fabulous find. You just earned your "eagle eyed" badge.

hetty said...

Interesting! Orchids don't need much soil. I once had a Vanda orchid. Its roots were completely bare. I used to hang it in the shower each morning to water it. That was all it needed. The flowers were a beautiful shade of blue.

jacaranda said...

Well spotted...a pretty bloom among the rock.