Thursday, August 27, 2020

A Finish

I think this is the first thing I have finished all year, which is quite shocking, but then it hasn't been a great year so far.

Broken Herringbone quilt, made as a donation for the guild's "Quilts of Love" program. It was assembled in April, basted in June, and then sat around in my sewing room. A couple of weeks ago I gave myself a kick up the backside and sat down to quilt it. I finished the binding last night.

In bright sunshine above, which washed out the colours to some extent, and in too-dark shade below.
Back view:

I used some fabrics for the back that I didn't think I was likely to use on the front of a quilt any time soon.

The quilting isn't very clear in any of these photos. I wasn't feeling very inspired, but I needed to do something, so I went for overall large stippling, and a chain of leaves in the border:

I used up one of the few plasticy labels that were left, remembering to zig-zag it to the backing before basting the quilt. Now it is attached firmly with no hand-sewing required.

It feels good to have actually finished something!


14 comments:

Maria said...

A bright happy Quilt made by many... great job all.

jacaranda said...

Beautiful, great scrap using pattern

Julierose said...

Lovely finish on this one..very pretty colors...
hugs, julierose

Jeanette said...

It's a quilt full of big ticks. Congratulations on a great finish.

hetty said...

Great finish! Lovely use of scraps.

Turid said...

A great finish. Not always easy to show the colours. It's always better to see it in real life. Congratulations on your finish.

Pamela said...

This is so pretty. The recipient will love it! Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Cheryll said...

Well done on your finish. Sometimes inspiration abandons us every now & then but you came through. Congrats...xox

Needled Mom said...

That looks really nice.

ButterZ said...

Good to see it finished. I have used that striped roses fabric too.

chrisknits said...

Awesome finish! Just love the braid effect.

Sue SA said...

Great finish! I love this pattern, looks tricky, but totally worth it.

Laura said...

Congratulations on a finish! That pattern doesn't look easy. Partial seams, maybe?

Vivian said...

A lovely group project! I can so relate to charity projects that sat wanting to be finished. You had a much quicker turnaround than I did! Always a sigh of relief to finish something for a good cause.