Monday, July 20, 2020

Day Ninety-Two

Here's the 92nd block of my 100 day project, ready to sew:

I'm making blocks 11 and 14 at the same time, as they use the same components. I've economised on sewing time by using a couple of different techniques. For example, the larger HST in the bottom right was made using the "Magic 8 at a Time" method, as I need eight of them for these two blocks. The smaller HST at the top right was made the same way.

To create the upper right and lower left components, I used the "Mary's Triangles" method.

That involves no triangle sewing, just rectangular shapes,
Then sewing along some diagonal lines. Once sewn and cut apart, each of these makes two units.

So here's how the quilt is going:

The design is by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts. It was run as a mystery earlier this year, but I decided to do it the slow way. I have half the block 11s and half the 14s to make, then the block 15s which will fill in the centre square. I'm looking forward to having them sewn together so I can finally get a picture of the whole thing, instead of just this one corner pinned up on my design wall.

When I started this project back in April I said that I'd be making the last block on 29th July, "by which time I sincerely hope the current restrictions on human interaction will be over." Wrong on both counts! I'm actually going to make the last block on 28th July, and restrictions are being tightened, not lessened. In fact, like nearly everyone else, my other current project is mask-making. Masks have only been "recommended" in our area, rather than mandated as they are in Melbourne from this Wednesday, but it is a recommendation I'll be following.

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

There is an upside. Never have people who sew been so valued.
The quilt is looking so pretty.

Pamela said...

I really like this! I'm not a pink lover, but this is perfect. Well done! I've been following what's happening in Melbourne. Tokyo's cases are rising also. We have a four day holiday weekend (originally planned for the opening of the Olympics), and I'm afraid there will be new cases all over with people traveling around.

Julierose said...

That quilt is coming together so beautifully;))
Masks are recommended in our State too--I wish they would mandate them as too many out there will not wear them...anyway--We each have two and wear them even to take mail from our mailman. Take care and stay safe...Julierose

hetty said...

Your quilt is looking great! Mask making is not my favourite activity. But if wearing one keeps us safe then I'm all for it.

jacaranda said...

Your quilt is looking beautiful, the colours are so fresh looking with the white. You are on the downhill to the 100 day challenge.

Andee Neff said...

Way to set a goal and get after it. Wish things were safely lifting myself, but think this is just the start...ugh!

Marie Králová said...

The green and pink color looks fresh on the blanket. In our country, after the regulation is relaxed, a stricter regime in wearing a mask is being prepared again. So they'll probably start sewing masks again. Marie

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a lovely quilt this will be. Congrats on finishing the final block!