Monday, July 6, 2020

Trail Mix

A month ago I saw the Trail Mix quilt on Jo's blog here. It stuck me as a pattern that could use up some of my scrap fabric, while providing stress-free mindless sewing fun. The pattern is made up of 5 different blocks,  each of which is comprised only of squares of various sizes. So over the last week or so I have cut a few squares in between other things. I have "parts" of quite a few blocks, but only 4 are fully assembled so far:

I'm not going to make the full pattern, but 64 blocks will make a quilt top large enough for a donation. The full pattern is available here.

What is the smallest size scrap you keep? I think it is time to throw out some of the smaller pieces I have. I'm thinking maybe anything that can't be used in this quilt is too small to save?

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh nice pattern;))) . Stay safe Julierose

ButterZ said...

Absolutely beautiful

hetty said...

I am using 1.5 inch pieces in my waffle quilt. But I find it too time consuming to cut scraps. So I use 1.5 inch strips from my bigger scraps. I love what you are working on. That is going to look fantastic.

Maria said...

Good start to Trail Mix...

Jeanette said...

Well named pattern, I really like the dash of light squares, like the tasty seeds in a good mix.
You have some lovely scrap fabrics, when they are that good no size is too small.

jacaranda said...

Lovely blocks and a great way to use up your small scraps. I have a large bag of 2 inch squares gathering dust in the cupboard, must do something with them but have lost the mojo for quilt making.

Marie Králová said...

Nice PW blocks. Pieces of cotton fabric are well used. Marie

Laura said...

I've started this quilt too. It might be time to pull it out and do some more sewing on it. It's a great pattern to use up scraps!

Vivian said...

I've long loved that one too! I've been mooning over my 1-1/2" scraps lately and have pulled a number of potential project patterns to work them up but just can't decide which to focus on, Lol!! Although your post has me thinking that if I do up some four patches while "focusing" on another project, they could be starter for this one. Hmmmm.....

Pamela said...

I love the trail mix fabrics. I keep all my scraps. If they are at least 2 1/2 inches square, I cut them for hexagons. Otherwise they go in bags.