Sunday, December 1, 2019

Frolic Part One

Since Bonnie announced the colours for this year's mystery quilt, Frolic, I've been trying to decide which fabrics to use. My initial colour post was here, and then I played with a few options here. I ummed and ahed for the rest of the month! Eventually a few days ago I made my final decision. And then the first clue came out and I started second-guessing myself.

I made a handful of 4-patches to see how they looked, then just decided to go with it:

My dark blue is Bonnie's berry colour, and for Bonnie's blues I am using berry colours: dark red and lighter purple. My 4-patches each have two corners of dark blue, one of dark red and one of purple.

The rest of my colour scheme is much the same as Bonnie's; chartreuse instead of the grassy green, a bluey-green for aqua, and then the neutrals.

There are no blog link-ups for this mystery, which is a shame. I loved the blog link-ups; visiting all the links and leaving comments on as many as possible. Many of the blogs I read regularly I first found through the mystery link-ups. Reading beyond the mystery-related posts allowed me to find people with common interests and interesting lives. Will Instagram do the same? I don't know.



Stash report for November:


Thread:
No spools emptied, none added.
Year to date - down 13 spools.

Dress fabric:
None used, none added.
Year to date - down 2.25m.

Quilt fabric:
1.6m used, 1m added
Year to date - up 0.9m.

10 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya I think this will look awesome can't wait to follow your progress ,hope you keep warm today my friend xx

Julierose said...


i like your choice of colors--those blue and raspberry-like colors look amazing together...hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

Your choice of colours are lovely, I like that you don’t follow the colour choices per say...it’s nice to see a different colour way. Well done that you have made a start.

Tammy said...

Nice job on part 1. I'm cutting strips right now for it. Pretty much staying in the same color theme as Bonnie. I too miss the linkups for the same reasons you conveyed. I don't have Instagram and not sure I want to take on yet another social media tool. Ugh.

Jeanette said...

This is a very interesting variation on the colours for the mystery. Looking good.

Marly said...

Your 4-patches are a good beginning; have fun with the rest. I haven't started yet, which probably means that I won't! There's too much sewing going on here already.

Laura said...

I love the colors you are using! I'm disappointed that there is no blog link up this year too. I'll be following your blog and keeping up with you. I'm not on Instagram, and I don't want to be!

Marie Králová said...

Vireya, you've chosen nice colors for Mystery.
I also regret the lack of links to other seamstresses' blog. I do not even have an Instagram. Marie

Sue SA said...

I still haven't gone back to finalise my fabric decisions :( but hopefully later this week I will get a chance to see if I have enough fabric to make a half sized quilt. I too love the blog link ups, but found that people are gradually giving up their blogs and there are less and less to read. On the upside I do like Instagram, so quick and easy...however it is a distraction all day, where as the blog only distracts me in the wee morning hours when I am enjoying being the first up and having coffee and reading blogs is my first daily ritual. I love your colours.

Needled Mom said...

I always love seeing the mystery quilt in different colors. Looking forward to seeing yours too.