Friday, December 6, 2019

Floral Delights

A few flowers in the garden today.

First waterlily flower of the season:
I don't know if those little flies are attracted by the smell or just the colour?

A month or so ago I thought the sweet peas had finished due to an under-watering oversight, but fortunately enough of them have survived that I should be able to collect some seed and do better next year:
I've been growing these from seed originally given to me by a friend five years ago, so I'm glad I haven't killed them off this year!

Something a bit unusual:

This flower is from a single bulb that was in a Garden Express end-of-season bulk bulb clearance box. It is a "firecracker" plant, Dichelostemma ida-maia, which is native to the west coast of the USA. It normally sells for $18 for one bulb!

Lastly. lots of flowers on a little hebe:
We have two different varieties of hebe alternating along a path in the back garden, and all these ones are flowering despite still being very small plants. I think this is "Marie Antoinette".

5 comments:

Julierose said...

The Hebe flowers look like lilacs a bit...very pretty color on that...hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

I am pleased your sweet peas are thriving, I forgot to plant mine this year. I must find a new location for next season, I will miss having vases of them this Christmas.

Sue SA said...

I would love a water garden, the water lilies are so pretty.

Jeanette said...

Great win with the mystery bulb box. That flower is well named.

Needled Mom said...

So glad the sweet peas made it. I love sweet peas. That firecracker is an interesting plant.