Thursday, December 5, 2019

Growing Things

Things are growing in the orchard.

Back in July I posted pictures of the male and female flowers on our hazelnut tree. Some of them did their thing, because now there are some baby hazelnuts growing:

Cherries ripening:

These are male kiwifruit flowers. They smell quite pretty, and there are bees buzzing in them.
Unfortunately there are no flowers on the female vines yet.

Raspberries ripening:
Yum!

Apples:
There are several apple trees, some with other varieties grafted on. The chooks have decided that the leaves of the Redlove apples are the tastiest:
So everything they can reach has been shredded.


Meanwhile inside, the wonky star blocks I made back in September have multiplied, and today became a top for a donation quilt:
Almost all of this fabric came out of my scrap basket, or from other people's scraps. The only parts that came from my stash were the remnants of a couple of mini charm packs I originally bought to add some variety to my temperature quilt. They only added up to 0.2 of a metre of fabric stash used, but I did empty 2 spools of thread sewing it all together, so that's something. At this stage it looks like I will get to the end of the year with a little bit less stash than I had at the beginning.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Just really love how those stars came out..so neat...nice work...
We have a little coating of snow left here and there and it is really cold...I am definitely not a Winter person anymore; as a child, I used to love Wintry days:
ice skating, sledding, snow fort-making etc. Now I hunker down inside..lol hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

I'm also hoping to use a little stash up this year, which means I need to exercise a little self control the next few weeks. I love you wonky stars quilt!

Sue SA said...

Yum, cherries! And fresh raspberries, definitely both worth growing, so expensive to buy. I love our own apples, but having multiple would mean you get more fruit spread out over the season, so worthwhile.

jacaranda said...

Beautiful colour in the green leaves. We have apricots on our tree, waiting for them to ripen.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Vireya wow lots happening in your garden,i must go up and check our fruit trees.
What a beautiful donation quilt ,thats such a lovely thing to do Vireya ,hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend xx

Jeanette said...

What a productive orchard. Love the photo of the hazelnut forming.

Marie Králová said...

Great harvest in the garden. Beautiful star blanket. Marie

ButterZ said...

Beautiful photos. It makes you happy seeing your success with a fruitful garden

Vivian said...

Ahh, as a member of a community garden, it was wonderful to see your garden in the throws of the growing season. This is better than sitting with seed catalogs while we here are weathering the winter weather!

Loving how your Scrappy Wonky Stars and the scrappy sashing have come together --- a great scrapbuster!