Sunday, June 2, 2019

Willows Quilt Show

Took a drive to Melton, to visit the Willows Quilters exhibition.

The quilt show was small, and very few people had braved the cold at the time I was there.

The challenge pieces:
The theme was obviously something to do with the ocean, or marine life. But there wasn't a sign to say exactly what it was. The challenge is a joint exercise with a group in Switzerland, so half of these pieces had travelled a long way. Lovely work!

The last time I visited this group's exhibition, I bought plants from the Friends of the Melton Botanic Garden nursery, and they had a sale table at this show too. I didn't need plants this time, but it was nice to see them there. I did buy fabric this time, though. My first fabric purchase for the year - it was hard to resist $2 FQs.

A couple of quilts that caught my eye:
This very cute tiger was made by Diane Blenkiron for a lucky grandchild. The design was adapted from a colouring-book picture. I think it is adorable.

I liked all three of the quilts you can see at least part of in this photo:
The caravans to the left were cute. The quilt on the right was very nice embroidered scenes of shops. The one in the middle with the skilled curved piecing was made by Jeann Clark, who sometimes reads my blog. (Hello, Jeann, if you read this.) Jeann made the quilt after attending a Margaret McDonald workshop. My photo doesn't do justice to the lovely colours she used.

Another thing my photo doesn't do justice:
There was a fantastic rainbow right across the sky this evening. The camera can't see that it was actually a "supernumerary rainbow", with extra rainbows inside it.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Getting the weather just right for a quilt show is very difficult. If it is warm and sunny, people do out of doors things, if it is freezing and rainy they stay home. Overcast with no rain is pretty good.
I am sure the Willows Group appreciated your support.
Jeann's quilt is impressive, love the green.

Julierose said...

Lovely showing--thanks for sharing ...I think that Tiger baby is adorable...hugs, Julierose

Jeann of Melton said...

What a shame I didn't know you were going. Normally I would be on duty all weekend but I am unable to leave Bill for any length of time. Younger daughter came and sat with him on Saturday and I dashed down to have a look.